"The number of options available to treat myeloma patients today is growing with positive results from mature studies, as well as preliminary results from smaller trials," said Brian G.M. Durie, M.D. chairman and co- founder of the IMF. "What we are learning from using these novel combinations in myeloma is so promising that our findings may become applicable to many malignancies including lung, ovarian and other cancers. The progress we've begun in myeloma is encouraging for all cancer patients around the world."
Myeloma, also called multiple myeloma, is a cancer of cells in the bone marrow that affects production of red cells, white cells and stem cells. It affects an estimated 750,000 people worldwide, and in industrialized countries it is being diagnosed in growing numbers and in increasingly younger people.
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL MYELOMA FOUNDATION
The International Myeloma Foundation is the oldest and largest myeloma organization, reaching more than 135,000 members in 113 countries worldwide. A 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of myeloma patients and their families, the IMF focuses in four key areas: research, education, support and advocacy. To date, the IMF has conducted more than 120 educational seminars worldwide, maintains a world-renowned hotline, and operates Bank On A Cure(R), a unique gene bank to advance myeloma research. The IMF can be reached at (800) 452-CURE or http://www.myeloma.org, and in Spanish at http://www.myelomala.org.
Contact: Stephen Gendel
The International Myel
Page: 1 2 3 4
Related medicine technology :
1. Phase 3 Results for Dabigatran Etexilate, an Investigational Oral Anticoagulant, Presented Today at the XXIst Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
2. Neose Announces Presentation of Positive Preclinical Data on GlycoPEGylated Factor VIIa at the XXI Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
3. Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals Presents Data From Hemophilia Program at International Society On Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Annual Meeting
4. Portola Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Data from a Phase II Study of its Factor Xa Inhibitor at the XXI Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
5. International ENDORSE Study Shows That the Majority of Hospitalized Patients Surveyed are at Risk for VTE and Many do not Receive Recommended VTE prophylaxis
6. Suven Life Sciences Presenting Pre-clinical data of their NCE’s SUVN-502 and SUVN-507at International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) 2007 World Congress of Neuroscience
7. Nuvelo Announces Presentations on rNAPc2 and NU172 at the XXIst Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
8. Portola Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Phase II EXPERT Results and Additional Oral and Poster Presentations at the XXI Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH)
9. Labopharm to Present Poster on Dose Titration of Once-daily Tramadol at 3rd International Forum on Pain Medicine
10. The European Myeloma Platform Reports New Survival data for Revlimid Presented at the International Myeloma Workshop in Greece
11. ZIO-101 (Darinaparsin) Interim Phase II and Preclinical Data Presented at International Myeloma Workshop