In the study, polyurethane catheters treated with Ceragenins were soaked daily in a phosphate-suffered solution along with an untreated catheter. At day 21, the catheters were challenged with an inoculum of one million colony forming units of methicillin-resistant staph aurius (MRSA). The untreated control catheter had 30,000 bacterial colony forming units (CFUs) adhered to the catheter surface while the Ceragenin treated catheters had fewer than 100 CFUs adhered to the surface.
"This study demonstrates the potential for Ceragenins to be utilized as an antimicrobial treatment for indwelling medical devices," said Steven S. Porter, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "The duration efficacy of the Ceragenin treatment is also very significant, given that currently available antimicrobial coatings and treatments are generally efficacious for only 7 to 10 days. While further development work is needed, we are very encouraged by the results of this study."
The results of this study will be included in a webcast presentation being given later today by Dr. Paul B. Savage of Brigham Young University. Dr. Savage is the inventor of the Ceragenin technology, which Ceragenix has exclusively licensed from Brigham Young University. The webcast information is as follows: -0-
Date & Time: March 12, 2007 @ 1:00 PM Eastern Time Webcast link for viewing presentation http://www.vcall.com/IC/CEPage.asp?ID=114215 Participant Dial in: U.S. and Canada (Toll Free): 877-407-0782 Participant Dial in: International: 201-689-8567 The call will be available for replay at http://www.investorcalendar.com/ClientPage.asp?
Page: 1 2 3
Related medicine technology :
1. Ceragenix Compound Shows Promise for Treating Lethal Cystic Fibrosis Infections
2. Ceragenix Announces Results from Phase IV Study of EpiCeram Meet All Primary and Secondary Endpoints
3. Ceragenix Announces New Publication of Scientific Research on Ceragenin Technology
4. Antisoma Announces Further Data From ASA404 Ovarian Cancer Trial
5. Neose Announces Presentation of Positive Preclinical Data on GlycoPEGylated Factor VIIa at the XXI Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
6. Biofrontera AG Announces Clinical Study Confirms Excellent Efficacy of BF-200 ALA In Actinic Keratosis
7. YM BioSciences Announces Secondary Efficacy and Safety Findings in Randomized Phase IIB Aerolef Trial
8. BioSante Pharmaceuticals Announces New Findings for Potential Bird Flu Vaccine
9. Portola Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Data from a Phase II Study of its Factor Xa Inhibitor at the XXI Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
10. Manhattan Pharmaceuticals Announces Results of Phase 2a Studies for Oral Oleoyl-estrone
11. AVI BioPharma Partner Cook Medical Announces Completion of Patient Enrollment for APPRAISAL Phase II Clinical Trial for Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease