WASHINGTON, June 01, 2007 /PRNewswire/ -- The annual meeting of the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), the largest meeting devoted to the comprehensive care and science of multiple sclerosis (MS), is underway in the nation's capital today. Multiple sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system that affects 400,000 people in the United States, challenges patients, care partners and healthcare professionals in many ways. The meeting provides specialists in the fields of MS healthcare, research, advocacy, community service and education to keep abreast of the latest information on patient care delivery systems and evidence-based practice.
Below are three highlights from the conference that reflect the caliber of innovation and inspiration at the meeting.
1. Dr. Randall T. Schapiro was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the CMSC on May 31st. This award recognizes the accomplishments of leading figures in MS care and research for their contributions to the CMSC. Dr. Schapiro founded the first comprehensive MS center in the United States, the Fairview MS Center in Minneapolis, which he continues to direct. A founder and past-president of the CMSC and a member of the Board of Trustees of the CMSC Foundation, he serves on the boards of the International MS Society and the National MS Society. "Dr. Schapiro is much beloved by his patients," said June Halper, Executive Director of the CMSC. "He has dedicated his life to the service of people with MS. His innovative MS program includes everything from the first MS Achievement Center, coordinated rehab services, home care services, outpatient and inpatient care, to education and research." 2. A web-based program was premiered on May 31st on the latest strategies for treating MS-related spasticity, a very difficult symptom of the disease.
Page: 1 2 3
Related medicine technology :
1. Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals Presents Data From Hemophilia Program at International Society On Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Annual Meeting
2. Halozyme Therapeutics Enhanze Technology Large Protein Molecule Therapeutic Clinical Trial Results Presented at the 34th Annual Meeting of the Controlled Release Society
3. Generex Biotechnology to Make Presentations At 46th Annual Meeting of the European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology
4. Micromet, Inc. to Present at the 3rd Annual C.E. Unterberg, Towbin Emerging Growth Conference
5. Neurologix to Present at the Third Annual C.E. Unterberg Towbin Emerging Growth Conference
6. BioLife Solutions Presents Data on CryoStor at International Society for Cellular Therapy Annual Meeting
7. Elixir Pharmaceuticals Presents Preclinical Data Highlighting Its Ghrelin Antagonist Program at the American Diabetes Associations Annual Meeting
8. MaxCyte and Medinet to Present at the 13th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT) in Sydney, Australia
9. ConjuChem Biotechnologies Reports PC-DAC:Exendin-4 Albumin Conjugate Data Presented at American Diabetes Association Annual Meeting
10. Ambrilia Highlights Encouraging Data for its HIV Integrase Inhibitor Program and Recent Developments at Annual Meeting
11. Neurogen Proprietary Insomnia Compound Data for Two Studies Presented at Associated Professional Sleep Societies Annual Meeting