Professor Mark Rivard, PhD, professor of radiation oncology and chief medical physicist at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, says, "I have been evaluating the Acuros BV system since mid-2009 and it is clear the sophisticated dose calculation algorithm is revolutionary for brachytherapy, with speed that is phenomenal compared to Monte Carlo-based calculations." Prof. Rivard said he finds that Acuros BV will provide more accurate HDR (high dose rate) brachytherapy dose distributions than previously clinically possible.
Dr. Firas Mourtada, of MD Anderson in Houston, Texas, will be presenting his findings at AAPM following a retrospective comparison of TG-43 dose calculations and Acuros BV for breast patients.
Dose levels for brachytherapy have generally been calculated as if the sources are surrounded by water, whereas in reality a patient's anatomy contains many different materials such as bone, lung, tissue and air, as well as additional materials that are often present from inserted applicators. In the past the only way to account for this was using Monte Carlo calculation techniques, something that was only available as a research tool. Now, for the first time in routine clinical brachytherapy, Acuros BV is able to account for the dose effects from these variations.
"Acuros BV calculation times tend to average between three and eight minutes depending on the applicator used," adds Sophie Wethera
SOURCE Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Bavarian Nordic Delivers 1 Million Doses of First Vaccine Developed Under U.S. Biopreparedness Program to the Strategic National Stockpile
2. Al Amal Hospital in Qatar Commences Treatments Using Fast and Efficient RapidArc Radiotherapy Technology from Varian Medical Systems
3. Varian Medical Systems Equips International Oncologys First Comprehensive Cancer Center in India
4. Prostate Cancer Patient First in Spain to Receive Fast and Precise RapidArc(R) Radiotherapy Treatment from Varian
5. Varian Medical Systems Introduces ProBeam(TM) Proton Therapy Platform at Particle Therapy Co-operative Group (PT COG) 2010 Meeting
6. Varian Medical Systems Equips Three Leading Cancer Centers in Istanbul with Advanced Radiotherapy Technology
7. Leading Varian-Equipped Proton Therapy Center Treats 100th Patient
8. Varian Medical Systems Showcases Advanced Radiotherapy and Brachytherapy Products at ACRO 2010, February 25-27, Florida, Booth No. 34-35
9. Abbott Submits New Automated Ovarian Cancer Test for U.S. Approval
10. Hope International Centro de Radioterapia of Guatemala Becomes First in Latin America to Treat Cancer Using RapidArc(R) Radiotherapy Technology From Varian Medical Systems
11. Slovenias Sole Radiotherapy Hospital Unveils Novalis Tx(TM) Platform From Varian and BrainLAB