BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that the soft tissue repair device markets in the United States and Europe will expand slightly through 2022. These markets will be primarily affected by trends in the hernia repair device market, which brings in the most revenues. This is due to the very high incidence of hernias, favorable clinical data supporting the benefits of hernia mesh and ongoing product innovation that helps maintain pricing.
Other key findings from Decision Resources Group's coverage of the U.S. and European soft tissue repair device markets:
- Hernia repair devices: The hernia repair device market will be supported by the adoption of premium-priced composite and proprietary synthetic mesh in the ventral and inguinal hernia indications, respectively. Particularly fast-growing products in 2013 included C. R. Bard's Ventrio Light hernia patch and Covidien's Parietex Optimized composite mesh.
- PFR devices and vaginal slings: The pelvic floor reconstruction (PFR) device and vaginal sling markets declined in 2013 due to warnings and publicity about the potential for adverse patient events, although they will recover slowly through 2022. In general, these soft tissue repair device markets have been plagued by lawsuits, and manufacturers are under enormous pressure to more stringently test safety.
- Male slings, staple line reinforcement devices and dural repair devices: The male sling and staple line reinforcement device markets (included in U.S. coverage only) as well as the dural repair device market (included in European coverage only) will exhibit moderate growth through 2022 as mesh products are increasingly accepted for the relevant indications.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Senior Analyst Manya Aggarwal:
- "In the U.S. hernia repair fixation device market, adoption of premium-priced absorbable tackers, which cause less pain and fewer adhesions, will grow at the expense of nonabsorbable tackers. Absorbable products will be primarily used in ventral hernia repair, where clinical evidence is stronger."
Comments from Decision Resources Group Senior Analyst Lexie Code:
- "Because of the widespread negative publicity in the PFR device market, C. R. Bard and Ethicon have both withdrawn products, and remaining large competitors have not been concentrating on this space. As a result, some smaller local competitors have gained share, but these independents are also bearing the burden of convincing doctors and women to consider these procedures again, making the turnaround quite a slow process."
- Manya Aggarwal and Lexie Code have written Medtech 360 reports on this subject entitled US Markets for Soft Tissue Repair Devices 2014 and European Markets for Soft Tissue Repair Devices, respectively.
- Decision Resources Group's Marketrack, which provides market share data by brand for the U.S. soft tissue repair device market, can be found here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130103/MM36768LOGO
Related medicine technology :1
|SOURCE Decision Resources Group|
Copyright©2014 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Boston Scientific Announces CE Mark and European Launch of Emerge™ PTCA Dilatation Catheter2
. Biodels Intellectual Property Position Strengthened for Ultra-Rapid-Acting Insulin Programs by Notice of Intent to Grant from European Patent Office3
. Marken Acquires European Kit Building Operation From LabCorp Clinical Trials4
. Blood Disorders: European Hematologists Gather in Amsterdam, June 14-17, 20125
. Mylan Launches Generic Lipitor® in Five European Countries6
. European Thrombosis Therapeutics Market is Experiencing an Urgent Need for Enhanced Products, Says Frost & Sullivan7
. Bristol-Myers Squibb to Present New Data on ORENCIA(R)? (abatacept) at the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) 2012 Congress8
. Cardium Announces Agreement With UK-Based Angel Biomedical For Excellagen Supply And Planned European Market Expansion9
. Study Results of Novocures NovoTTF™ Pivotal Phase 3 Trial Published in European Journal of Cancer10
. Cardiac Dimensions® Announces Publication of TITAN Clinical Trial Data in European Journal of Heart Failure11
. Pharmacyclics Announces Oral Presentations of Ibrutinib (PCI-32765) at the 17th Congress of the European Hematology Association