CAMBRIDGE, Mass., June 7, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI) announced today that it will present Congressman Michael Capuano (D-MA) with its first ever "Lou Gehrig Award" during its annual A White Coat Affair gala event this November 3rd. The award recognizes the Congressman for his tireless efforts in Congress to advocate for additional funding for research leading to an effective treatment for ALS.
"As a person battling ALS today, I wish to thank Congressman Capuano for his stand against this disease. The attention and funding that he has helped to bring to this killer has brought new researchers, new ideas and frankly renewed hope that people like me will one day truly have the chance to fight this disease back," said Augie Nieto, chairman of the Board of ALS TDI.
The award will be presented during the Institute's annual gala event, A White Coat Affair, to be held at the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge, Mass. The Congressman will be recognized during a special ceremony being organized by ALS TDI. Additional information is available online at http://www.als.net/whitecoataffair or by calling 617-441-7205. The Lou Gehrig name is used with the permission of the Rip Van Winkle Foundation.
"Time and time again Congressman Capuano has shown that he understands the hardship faced by those living with Lou Gehrig's disease today. Congressman Capuano's support of ALS TDI's unique approach has inspired others in Congress to join together in a focused effort to fund this groundbreaking and crucial research. This is a cause that he has championed and we are honored to recognize him for his leadership and persistence on behalf of patients today," said Steve Perrin, Ph.D., CEO and CSO of ALS TDI.
About ALS Therapy Developme
SOURCE ALS Therapy Development Institute
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Brin Wojcicki Foundation Announces $50-Million Challenge Grant to Michael J. Fox Foundation to Spur Progress Toward Parkinsons Cure
2. Anaphore Appoints Michael F. Haller, Ph.D., Senior Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and H Casey Logan Senior Vice President of Business Development
3. Lyle Arnold, PhD and Michael Dunn Join Biocept Management Team
4. NxStage® Names Michael Miller, Jr. President, International
5. Mersana Therapeutics Appoints Michael A. Metzger as EVP & COO
6. Michael Douglas, Honored Film Star and Throat Cancer Survivor, Encourages Public to Attend Free Local Screenings During Oral, Head & Neck Cancer Awareness Week
7. Xenon Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Michael Hayden Receives Prestigious Award for Leadership in Medicine
8. Valeant Pharmaceuticals Extends Contract with J. Michael Pearson as CEO and Appoints Him as Chairman of the Board
9. Hill-Rom Elects Michael Macek as Treasurer
10. Hospira Board Names F. Michael Ball New CEO; Christopher B. Begley to Assume Executive Chairman Role
11. Michael Petras, Former CEO of GE Lighting, Named CEO of Cleveland-Based Specialty Medical Supplies Leader