DUBLIN, November 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/zm2pwl/the_corporate) has announced the addition of the "The Corporate Reputation of Pharma in 2012: The Patient Perspective" report to their offering.
A global survey of the views of 600 international, national, and regional patient groups on the corporate reputation of the pharma industry and 29 leading pharma companies
Increasing numbers of pharmaceutical companies are seeking to redefine their relationships with patients, recasting their companies as more patient-centric. PatientView is therefore pleased to ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE of the latest version of its annual review.
- A global survey, conducted mid-November to mid-December 2012, exploring the views of 600 international, national, and regional patient groups from 56 countries (72% from Europe) and differing specialties
- Patient group feedback on the corporate reputation of the pharma industry during 2012.
- Patient group feedback provides rankings of 29 leading pharma companies for six key indicators that influence corporate reputation: patient-centredness; patient information; patient safety; useful products; transparency; and integrity.
- Results for 2012 are compared with those of 2011.
This independent study, funded by PatientView, represents 600 patient groups' latest impressions on the corporate reputation of 29 individual pharma companies and of the pharma industry as a whole. Results for 2012 are compared with 2011. For the purposes of this report, the phrase 'corporate reputation' is defined as the extent to which pharma companies are meeting the expectations of patients and patient groups.
Key findings industry-wide; reputation of pharma fell in 2012
The overall reputation of pharma declined in 2012. Only 34% of the 600 patient groups responding to the 2012 survey state that multinational pharma companies had an Excellent or Good reputation during 2012. The equivalent figure from the 500 patient groups responding to the 2011 survey was 42%. 40% of the 600 respondent patient groups state that the reputation of the pharma industry had declined during 2012. As many as 50% of the 600 respondent patient groups say that industry had a Poor record in 2012 for having fair pricing policies.48% of the 600 respondent patient groups say that industry had a Poor record in 2012 for being transparent.When the 2012 results are compared with those of 2011, the sharpest falls in pharma performance are for the following:
- Managing adverse news about producta 29% fall between 2011 and 2012.
- Having ethical marketing practicesa 23% fall between 2011 and 2012.
- Having a good relationship with the mediaa 19% fall, 2011-2012.
- Several reasons explain why pharma's reputation fell during 2012
Respondent patient groups report:
- a continuing failure to help patients in cash-strapped southern-European countries (such as Greece, Portugal, Romania, and Spain) gain access to medicines;
- a preoccupation by pharma with drugs that offer only short-term health benefits;
- not enough effort being made to discover chemical entities suitable for neglected catchments of patients;
- inappropriate marketing of drugs (including those for off-label indications);
- perceived lack of transparencyespecially in reporting the disappointing results of clinical trials;
- drugs prices that, in some cases, are still unaffordable to many patients or their payersculminating in a general impression that profit comes before making people well.
- Baxter International
- Biogen Idec
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Eli Lilly (Lilly)
- Gilead Sciences
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Merck & Co (the US company)
- Merck Group (the German company)
- Novo Nordisk
- Stada Arzneimittel
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/zm2pwl/the_corporate
About Research and Markets
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.
|SOURCE Research and Markets|
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved