Select ezatiostat analogs were evaluated for toxicity as well as for acceleration of recovery of neutrophil levels in a standard preclinical model of 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy-induced neutropenia. The compounds were well-tolerated when administered at doses up to 200 mg/kg and, like ezatiostat, led to a significantly accelerated recovery in the 5-FU-induced neutropenia model.
"We are pleased to report new data on novel ezatiostat analogs, which augments the substantial scientific foundation and intellectual property estate of this program", stated James Keck Ph.D., Vice President of Biology Research. "The availability of the analogs will help to further our understanding of ezatiostat treatment for MDS as well as the role of GST P1-1 in the development and progression of MDS."
Ezatiostat treatment has been shown to cause a clinically significant and sustained reduction in red-blood-cell transfusions, transfusion independence, and multilineage hematologic improvement responses in patients with MDS. Positive results of a Phase 2 multicenter study that evaluated ezatiostat administered on two extended dose schedules in 89 heavily pre-treated patients with low to intermediate-1 risk MDS were recently reported in the Proceedings of the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting 2010; 116: Abstract 2910. Phase 2 Randomized Multicenter Study of Extended Dosing Schedules of Oral Ezatiostat HCl (Telintra), a Glutathione Analog Prodrug GST P1-1 Inhibitor in Low to Intermediate-1 Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Raza A, Galili N, Smith SE, Godwin J, Boccia RV, Myint H, et al.
SOURCE Telik, Inc.
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Telik Announces Presentation and Webcast at 10th Annual Needham Healthcare Conference
2. Telik Announces Fourth Quarter and 2010 Year End Financial Results and 2011 Financial Guidance
3. Telik Announces Presentation and Webcast at 13th Annual BIO CEO & Investor Conference
4. Telik Announces Presentation at American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting
5. Telik Announces Third Quarter 2010 Financial Results
6. Telik Awarded $1.2 Million in Grants for Qualifying Therapeutic Development Projects
7. Telik Announces Publication of Review Focused on the Inhibition of the Enzyme GSTP1-1 as a Target for New Cancer Treatments
8. Telik Announces Publication of a Case Report of a Sustained Hematologic Response in Myelodysplastic Syndrome Following an Abbreviated Exposure to Oral Telintra(R) (Ezatiostat HCl)
9. Telik Announces Fourth Quarter and 2009 Year End Financial Results and 2010 Financial Guidance
10. Telik Announces Initiation of Phase 1 Clinical Study of Ezatiostat Hydrochloride (TELINTRA(R), TLK199) Tablets in Combination With Lenalidomide (Revlimid(R)) in Patients With Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)
11. Telik Announces Third Quarter 2009 Financial Results