Similar to a donor heart transplant, the SynCardia Heart is the only device that eliminates the source and symptoms of end-stage biventricular (both sides) heart failure.
On Sept. 21, 2011, Oliver was the first Maryland resident to be discharged from the hospital without a human heart. He was able to do so with the wearable Freedom® portable driver, which powered his SynCardia Heart using precisely calibrated air pulses.
He says he particularly looked forward to sleeping in his own bed at his Maryland home and seeing his beloved chocolate Labrador retriever, Weston, which he hadn't seen since his hospitalization in June.
Oliver received a donor heart Dec. 10, 2011, at VCU Medical Center and was released from the hospital 21 days later.
Ronda Oliver, 42, who took time off from her job as an administrative assistant at a school to care for her husband, suffered a health crisis of her own when she was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2013. Now it was Michael's turn to take on the caregiver role.
"I believe it's all part of the plan," Oliver says. "If I didn't have the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart available, I wouldn't have been there to take care of my wife."
"I believe in the technology and I wish I could buy stock in the company," he adds.
Ronda's cancer-free now and both are back to work. Michael's experience has changed his outlook on life. He's become more spiritual and wants to spend more time with family and friends. "You've got to enjoy every moment," he says. "You have to say to your spouse that you love her every day."
The Freedom portable driver is CE approved for use in '/>"/>
SOURCE SynCardia Systems, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. SynCardia Posts Record Revenue and Profit in Q1 2012
2. 3 Pediatric Centers that Offer SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Named in Top 10 for "Best Childrens Hospitals"
3. 1st SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Implant Performed in New England
4. 50% of U.S. News & World Reports "Best Hospitals" for Cardiology & Heart Surgery Making the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Part of Their Toolbox
5. SynCardias Record-Setting Q2 Marks 5th Consecutive Profitable Quarter
6. EJK Duisburg Becomes One of the Most Active SynCardia Certified Centers in Europe
7. SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Patient Featured in U.S. News & World Reports "Best Hospitals" Issue
8. 1st SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Patient Discharged from Ankara University in Turkey
9. University of Washington Leads All SynCardia Certified Centers with 10 Implants of the Total Artificial Heart in 2012
10. Forbes Ranks SynCardia Among "Americas Most Promising Companies" for Second Straight Year
11. SynCardia Total Artificial Heart Patient with End-Stage Renal Failure Recovers Kidney Function after Two Months of Support