"These studies show the RA and Hep C pharmacy costs now go beyond all medical costs, therefore the expected medical savings cannot offset the specialty drug investment," said Gleason. "As pharmacy benefit managers and health plans strive work to improve the quality of care for individuals with specialty drug needs, the expected increases in cost of care can be lessened through specialty pharmacy management programs. These programs include care management, a limited specialty network, utilization management, and rebate contractual relationships that provide price inflation protection."
Both studies analyzed integrated pharmacy and medical claims from 1.2 million commercially insured, continuously enrolled members receiving a Hep C or RA specialty drug. Among members using these drugs, the average per patient, per year total cost of care was calculated and total cost of care was separated by the following categories: medical specialty drug, medical all other, pharmacy specialty drug and pharmacy all other.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, with headquarters in the St. Paul suburb of Eagan, was chartered in 1933 as Minnesota's first health plan and continues to carry out its charter mission today as a health company: to promote a wider, more economical and timely availability of health services for the people of Minnesota. Blue Cross is a not-for-profit, taxable organization. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, headquartered in Chi
SOURCE Prime Therapeutics
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Managed Health Care Associates, Inc. (MHA) Announced Erik Halstrom, Vice President of MHA Specialty Pharmacy Solutions, Will Serve on the National Association of Specialty Pharmacy (NASP) Board of Directors
2. Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai Wins Prestigious India Healthcare Awards for Best Multi Specialty Hospital of the Year and No. 1 Metro City Hospital
3. Express Scripts Study Reveals Keys to Controlling Specialty Drug Costs
4. Specialty Practices Find Smoother Path to EHR Adoption and Meaningful Use Certification with Digital Writing Technology from Anoto
5. Society of Interventional Radiology: Pioneering specialty reaches out
6. Managed Health Care Associates, Inc. (MHA) Marks Tenth Anniversary of Hosting Annual Business Summit for Long Term Care, Home Infusion, Home Medical Equipment and Specialty Pharmacies
7. Specialty Pharmacy Association of America (SPAARx) Publishes Definition of Specialty Pharmacy
8. Student Doctor Network Offers New Tools to Help Medical Students Select a Specialty
9. Specialty Pharmacy Association of America (SPAARx) - Enrollment Exceeds 1,000 Members in First Two Weeks since Launch
10. Avella Takes the Mystery Out of Specialty Pharmacies
11. Managed Health Care Associates, Inc. (MHA) Announced as Founding Member Sponsor of The National Association of Specialty Pharmacy (NASP)