Also underway is a 20-patient Phase 1 clinical trial using limbal cells to repair corneal blindness. This is being led by Professor Bal Dhillon in Edinburgh and is funded jointly by the UK Stem Cell Foundation and Scottish Enterprise in partnership with Scotland's Chief Scientist's Office.
Finally, a significant boost to Scotland's capabilities for supporting clinical trials was received with news that the new GMP Manufacturing Facility within the MRC-CRM, and managed by Roslin Cells along with the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS), has been awarded a license by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA), which permits the manufacture and release of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs) for use in clinical trials.
"Scotland is once again demonstrating its expertise in academic, translational and clinical applications in stem cells and regenerative medicine" says Dr. Ed Hutchinson, spokesperson for life sciences at Scottish Enterprise. "These advances have been made possible through a collaborative approach whereby Scotland's universities, companies and health boards all actively participate in developments in this exciting area. With a supportive supply chain in place, Scotland can be seen as the place to go to undertake stem cell clinical trials and as a base for the European market."
This week, a Scottish delegation including the MRC Center for Regenerative Medicine, Roslin Cells and Universities of Edinburgh
SOURCE Scottish Development International
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Scotland to produce lifesaving HIV technology
2. Scotland-based Innova Partnerships Ltd. Opens Boston Office
3. Canada-based Radimetrics Announces Expansion to Scotland
4. From Cloning Dolly the Sheep to Curing Blindness, Scotland is on the Forefront of Life Science Discoveries
5. BioElectronics Continues FDA Clearance Campaign to Bring Chronic Pain Sufferers Safe, Effective, Inexpensive, Drug-Free Pain Therapy
6. Record Use of At-the-Market (ATM) Offerings Continues in 2013 with $161 Million Raised by U.S. Life Sciences Companies in First Quarter, Reports Brinson Patrick
7. Harlan Laboratories Continues Global Growth with Major Expansion of North American Facilities
8. Pharmaceutical Companies On Defense As Post-ACA Implementation Continues
9. Mission Pharmacal Company Continues Its Support of March for Babies
10. Groupe Athena, Inc. Releases 3rd Quarter Financials, Continues Strong Revenue And Earnings Growth
11. Despite the Recent Availability of Xtandi, Zytiga Continues to Dominate the Second-Line Metastatic Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer Setting, According to Surveyed U.S. Oncologists and Urologists