ROCKVILLE, Md., May 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) today launched three customized, online educational modules to promote safe use of acetaminophen products. The most common drug ingredient in America, acetaminophen, is found in more than 600 different prescription and over-the-counter medicines, including pain relievers, fever reducers, and sleep aids as well as cough, cold, and allergy medicines. When used as directed, acetaminophen is safe and effective. But there is a limit to how much can be safely used in one day; overdoses can potentially lead to liver damage.
To help raise awareness about acetaminophen safety by distinct populations who use it, NCPIE's modules integrate tailored messaging, free downloads, and useful links to external resources on the safe use of products that contain acetaminophen. Individual online modules – described below – can be used for self education, or as resources for community outreach and education.
"Unfortunately, it's easy to overlook common medicine precautions," noted NCPIE Chair N. Lee Rucker, M.S.P.H. "With many people using more prescription medicines than ever before, as well as our abundance of choices for self-treatment, everyone needs to make a conscious effort to read the labels; and ask questions of pharmacists, doctors, nurses and other prescribers. For 30 years, NCPIE has been working to enhance that vital patient-clinician communication about safe medicine use. These new modules about safe use of acetaminophen are tailored for various medicine users, across the age spectrum." Rucker added, "As we age, our learning preferences and lifestyles change; so too does technology. NCPIE has interwoven all of these elements into these new communication platforms to promote safe, appropriate medicine use."
About NCPIE's Acetaminophen Safe Use Modules<
SOURCE The National Council on Patient Information and Education
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Ranbaxy Receives Approval to Manufacture and Market Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablets USP
2. Cadence Pharmaceuticals Completes Enrollment of Pivotal Phase III Trial for Intravenous Acetaminophen Ahead of Schedule
3. Abbott Receives Complete Response Letter From FDA for Controlled-Release Hydrocodone With Acetaminophen
4. Cadence Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Extends New Drug Application Review for Intravenous Acetaminophen by Three Months
5. FDA Limits Acetaminophen in Prescription Combination Products; Requires Liver Toxicity Warnings
6. FDA Consumer Health Information - New Steps Aimed at Cutting Risks from Acetaminophen
7. Abuse Deterrent Hydrocodone / Acetaminophen Leads NDA Pipeline
8. Boca Pharmacal Receives FDA Approval for Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablets
9. Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Issues Voluntary, Nationwide Recall of Hydrocodone Bitartrate and Acetaminophen Tablets, USP 10 mg / 500 mg, NDC 0603-3888-20, 60 Count, Lot Numbers T150G10B, T120J10E and T023M10A and Phenobarbital Tablets, USP 32.4 mg, ND
10. OTC Industry Announces Voluntary Transition to One Concentration of Single-Ingredient Pediatric Liquid Acetaminophen Medicines
11. AccuDial Recommendations for Safer and Effective Dosing to Pediatric Acetaminophen Advisory Committee