NEW YORK, Oct. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
IntroductionThe US prescription pharmaceutical market was valued at $279 billion in 2009, with an annual growth rate of 5.5% between 2008 and 2009, having grown at a compound annual growth rate of 5.0% between 2005 and 2009. However, future sales growth will be shaped by three key events: the US recession, healthcare reform and the patent cliff.
Scope* Overview of US socioeconomic and demographic trends, healthcare system, regulation, pricing and reimbursement and intellectual property position
* Assesses the size of the US pharmaceutical market by prescribing setting, therapy area, leading brands and by leading companies
* Examines the US generics and biosimilars landscape in terms of regulatory issues, level of penetration, key players and degree of brand erosion
* Quantifies the R&D and manufacturing infrastructure for the leading pharmaceutical companies, including key metrics and domestic M&A analysis
HighlightsThe once recession-proof industry is now feeling the impact of the economic downturn. As a result of rising unemployment and the number of uninsured, individuals now face difficult healthcare decisions. Action taken by the US government as part of the reform package to offset the growing healthcare burden will also impact Pharma.
US healthcare reform is set to improve coverage but this will be at the expense of containing healthcare costs. Although the pharma industry will benefit from the rise in insured individuals, measures such as the increased Medicaid drug rebate and Medicare donut hole discount will have an immediate negative impact on revenues out to 2014.
As a result of the patent cliff beginning in 2011, Pharma is set to lose $42 billion in US branded sales from drugs facing patent expiry between 2011 and 2012. Consequently, US sales for the top 50 pharma companies are forecast to decline by an average of 2.2% year-on-year between 2010 and 2015.
Reasons to Purchase* Evaluate the evolving regulatory landscape and the US healthcare reform is set to impact Pharma out to 2019
* Quantify the size and growth of the prescription pharmaceutical market in the US, analyzing key therapy areas, brands and companies
* Assess drivers and resistors of generic and biosimilars uptake in the US as well as the level of erosion brands can expect to face post patent expiry
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved