- New Progression-Free Survival, Disease Control and Neurotoxicity Data To Be Presented at 2009 ASCO Annual Meeting Continue to Support Picoplatin as a Neuropathy-Sparing Alternative to Oxaliplatin for First-Line Treatment of Colorectal Cancer -
- Poniard Management Team to Host Analyst and Investor Briefing to Discuss Data on Sunday, May 31st -
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., May 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Poniard Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: PARD), a biopharmaceutical company focused on innovative oncology therapies, today announced updated clinical data from its randomized, controlled Phase 2 trial of picoplatin in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC). The new data demonstrated that picoplatin, given once every four weeks in combination with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in the FOLPI regimen, and oxaliplatin, given in combination with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in the modified FOLFOX-6 regimen, have similar anti-tumor activity in the treatment of first-line metastatic CRC, as assessed by progression-free survival (PFS) and disease control measured by tumor response rate. New data derived by three independent assessments of neurotoxicity indicated a statistically significant reduction in neurotoxicities with the use of picoplatin in FOLPI compared with oxaliplatin in FOLFOX (p<0.0019).
"Oxaliplatin given as part of the FOLFOX-based regimen is the current standard of care for metastatic colorectal cancer, but is associated with severe neuropathy at increasing cumulative doses approaching 800 mg/meter squared. This significant side effect may cause patients extreme pain, numbness and weakness, which is often long-lasting and, in many cases, requires patients to discontinue treatment," said Richard Goldberg, M.D., associate director of clinical research for the
SOURCE Poniard Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Poniard Pharmaceuticals Reports First Quarter 2009 Financial Results and Provides a Corporate Update
2. Poniard Pharmaceuticals to Present New Data from Phase 2 Clinical Trials of Picoplatin in Multiple Tumor Types at the 45th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
3. Poniard Completes Patient Enrollment Target in Phase 3 SPEAR Trial of Picoplatin in Small Cell Lung Cancer
4. Poniard Pharmaceuticals Reports Fourth Quarter and Year End 2008 Financial Results and Provides a Corporate Update
5. Poniard Pharmaceuticals Announces Management Changes and Focus on Development and Commercialization of Picoplatin
6. Poniard Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Top-Line Results from Phase 1 Trial Demonstrating Positive Bioavailability with Oral Picoplatin
7. Poniard Announces Positive Efficacy and Safety Data From Phase 1 Trial of Picoplatin in Multiple Tumor Types Including Ovarian Cancer
8. Poniard Announces Positive Preliminary Efficacy and Safety Data From Ongoing Phase 2 Trial of Picoplatin in First-Line Treatment of Colorectal Cancer
9. Poniard Announces Positive First-Line Efficacy and Safety Data From Ongoing Phase 2 Trial of Picoplatin in Patients with Metastatic Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer
10. Poniard to Present Clinical Data From Picoplatin Trials in Multiple Tumor Types at American Society of Clinical Oncology 2008 Annual Meeting
11. Poniard Pharmaceuticals Licenses Kinase Inhibitors From The Scripps Research Institute