WASHINGTON, Feb. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pharmaceutical Care Management Association (PCMA) launched a new ad campaign in Oregon that highlights the core value proposition of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs). The ad campaign – "That's What PBMs Do" – focuses on key themes including:
- PBMs lower costs for employers, unions, and consumers
- PBM mail-service pharmacies improve safety, savings, and convenience
- PBMs help patients make informed prescription drug decisions and improve adherence.
"This ad campaign will educate key Oregon decision makers about the important savings and safety benefits PBMs provide to employers, unions, and consumers," said PCMA President and CEO Mark Merritt.
Click here to view the new ads.
PBMs will save Oregon consumers and payers $20 billion in prescription drug costs – a 35 percent savings – over the next decade. Nationally, PBMs will save consumers and payers, including Medicare Part D, almost $2 trillion in prescription drug costs over the next decade, according to new research from Visante.
In addition to the ad campaign, a new PCMA video highlights the innovative tools and programs PBMs use to make prescription medications safer and more affordable for more than 215 million Americans with health coverage provided through Fortune 500 employers, health insurance plans, labor unions, and Medicare Part D.
View the new video here.
PBMs improve safety and savings in several ways:
- Negotiating Discounts from Drugstores and Drug Manufacturers: Retail pharmacies provide discounts to be included in a plan's pharmacy network. The more selective the network, the greater the discount, since each pharmacy will gain business. PBMs negotiate rebates from manufacturers of brand drugs that compete with therapeutically similar brands and generics. Manufacturers typically provide a rebate if their product is "preferred," which means it is assigned a copay lower than competing products.
- Offering Home Delivery of Medicines: Mail-service and specialty pharmacy channels typically give plan sponsors deeper discounts than do retail pharmacies. These channels also help encourage the use of preferred products for additional savings.
- Encouraging Use of Generics and Less Expensive Brands: PBMs use several tools to encourage the use of generic drugs and preferred brands. These include: formularies and tiered cost sharing, prior authorization and step therapy protocols, generic incentives, consumer education, and physician outreach. As PBMs and plan sponsors strive for greater savings, drug mix becomes even more important.
- Using Cutting-Edge Tools to Improve Adherence: PBMs use Drug Utilization Review (DUR) to reduce waste such as polypharmacy and implement patient adherence programs to help patients stick to their prescription regimens. Both programs improve clinical outcomes and influence prescription volume and expenditures.
- Improving Quality and Safety: PBMs promote the use of technology like e-prescribing to improve quality and safety by preventing drug duplication and dangerous drug-to-drug interactions.
Related medicine technology :1
|SOURCE Pharmaceutical Care Management Association|
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Iomai Launches Phase 1/2 Safety Study of Dose-Sparing Patch for Use With Pandemic Influenza Vaccine2
. Keeping the Data Center Clean: ATEN Launches Industry-First KVM Switches with Antimicrobial Nanocoating to Protect Products from Bacteria Surviving on Surfaces3
. Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) Launches Phase III Study for Pixantrone in Relapsed Indolent Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL)4
. Tengion Launches Second Phase 2 Clinical Trial of Regenerated Human Organ5
. Strategic Diagnostics Launches Initial Oncology-Targeted Antibody Reagent Catalog6
. deCODE Launches Phase II Clinical Testing of DG051 for the Prevention of Heart Attack7
. Premier Micronutrient Launches Supplement for Hearing Health8
. deCODE Launches deCODE MI(TM) -- A Test for a Major Genetic Risk Factor for Early-onset Heart Attack9
. PDHI Launches ConXus Rewards, Announces Partnership With Hallmark Insights to Support Incentive-Driven Wellness Programs10
. Seal Shield Launches Worlds First Antibacterial, Dishwasher Safe Keyboard and Mouse for Infection Control11
. PositiveFriends.com Launches STD Social Networking Site Balancing Dating with Online Support Features