MONTEREY, Calif., Feb. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- PARI Pharma has enrolled the first patient in its Phase 2b clinical trial studying inhaled liposomal cyclosporine A (L-CsA) delivered via a customized Investigational eFlow Nebulizer System. The multinational study is investigating the safety and efficacy of PARI's L-CsA formulation. In previous clinical trials, reactions from physicians and lung transplant recipients to PARI's drug-device combination were encouraging.
"We are very pleased to move forward with this investigational treatment aimed at preventing bronchiolitis obliterans, which is an incurable small airway disease in lung transplant recipients. This study has been designed with advice from the European Medicines Agency under L-CsA's orphan drug designation status," said Manfred Keller, chief scientific officer and executive vice president of PARI Pharma.
PARI Pharma's Phase 2b trial is a multi-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, dose-finding study to investigate the safety and efficacy of L-CsA in doses of 10mg/day and 20mg/day to prevent bronchiolitis obliterans in recipients of lung transplants.
"We are seeing early success from our L-CsA program. This underscores PARI Pharma's unique position to combine formulation expertise with our advanced aerosol delivery technology to develop best in class therapies for unmet medical needs," added Martin Knoch, president of PARI Pharma.
Positive data regarding human lung deposition and distribution of L-CsA was published in the Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery last year, and clinical as well as preclinical data will be presented in April at the Annual Meeting of the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation in Chica
SOURCE PARI Pharma
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Thomson Scientific Publishes The Ones to Watch - A Quarterly Review of Phase Changes in the Pharmaceutical Pipeline
2. Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Receives Clearance to Resume Clinical Trials for XIAFLEX(TM)
3. Vion Pharmaceuticals Completes Accrual of 85 Patients to its Pivotal Phase II Trial of Cloretazine(R) (VNP40101M) in Elderly AML
4. Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Announce Receipt of an FDA Action Letter for Bifeprunox, an Investigational Treatment for Schizophrenia
5. Clinical Trial Effectiveness: How Pharmas & Biotechs Save Cost with Savvy Investigator Management
6. DOV Pharmaceutical, Inc. Announces Successful Phase Ib Results for DOV 21,947
7. Callisto Pharmaceuticals Opens Additional Sites for Phase II Clinical Trial of Atiprimod in Advanced Carcinoid Cancer Patients
8. WallSt.net (www.wallst.net) Updates the Investment Community Through an All-New Interview With RegeneRx Biopharmaceuticals CEO
9. Par Pharmaceutical Begins Shipment of Additional Dosage Strength of Generic TOPROL-XL(R)
10. Quark Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Presented Positive Preclinical Results of Systemic RNAi Compound for Acute Renal Failure (ARF)
11. Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Doses First Patient in Cotara(R) Phase II Brain Cancer Trial In India