NEW YORK, Nov. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
The flurry of recent industry acquisitions and alliances focused on product portfolios and distribution networks in the Emerging Markets underscores the attractiveness of these areas for the Pharmaceutical industry. This report outlines many of these recent industry alliances, by companies including Pfizer, GSK, Novartis, Abbott, Daiichi Sankyo and others. Many of these alliances have been focused on obtaining the Pharmaceuticals, Generics, Vaccines, OTC's, Hepatitis and HIV/AIDS agents and Biosimilars appropriate for the Emerging markets. Other companies still seeking alliances are identified, as well as those that appear to be potential generic and Biosimilar supply partners.
This report provides market forecasts for the major Emerging markets, by IMS and by key industry players. It also outlines the opportunities and challenges presented by market, the major companies focusing on growth in these markets, and the sales and marketing strategies being implemented by specific industry leaders.
Key features of this report• Coverage of numerous information sources for a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of the subject.
• Evaluation of the opportunities and challenges presented by the 7 major emerging markets as well as Other Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe and Middle East and Africa markets.
• Coverage of market profiles by country and region, including market and epidemiological data
• Coverage of emerging market growth goals, strategies and alliance activity by leading companies
• Extensive analysis of recent government plans for healthcare reform and expanded access in China
Scope of this report• Identify key Emerging Markets with growth potential for Pharmaceuticals, Generics, vaccines, OTC's, Hepatitis and HIV/AIDS agents, Biosimilars and 3rd World Vaccines and medicines.
• Learn why China is the key growth opportunity for most companies and the expected pharmaceutical industry impact of the current government plans to expand healthcare insurance and access.
• Understand the unmet medical needs and growth drivers for the major Emerging markets.
• Understand the rationale behind numerous recent industry acquisitions and alliances targeting these markets.
• Identify pharmaceutical and generic companies seeking alliances related to these markets.
• Learn 10 key recommendations for success in these markets, based on experience of industry leaders to date.
Key Market Issues• Pharmaceutical, biotech and generic companies are targeting the Emerging markets for growth due to declining R+D productivity, significant pending patent expirations and increasing healthcare cost containment measures in the developed markets.
• Opportunities for patented, premium-priced pharmaceuticals, Generics, Biosimilars, Vaccines, OTC's, Hepatitis and HIV/AIDS agents vary by market.
• The Emerging market opportunities include large population sizes, unmet medical needs, growing economies and increasing public and private healthcare expenditures.
• The challenges encountered in these markets are also numerous and include diverse languages and cultures, healthcare regulations, distribution challenges, preferential treatment for domestic companies and healthcare cost containment measures.
Key findings from this report- The vast opportunities for Pharmaceuticals in China appear more attainable than ever given the government's funding of major Healthcare Reforms to increase healthcare access, infrastructure and services between 2009 and 2011. These healthcare reforms aimed at expanding medical insurance and access while decreasing costs are expected to increase pharmaceutical volume at reduced prices.
- India, with its population of 1.1 billion, high levels of poverty and unmet medical needs and low healthcare expenditures continues to present challenges for the global industry. Opportunities include manufacturing skills including Biosimilar manufacturing. However, the lack of Intellectual Property recognition for several biologics, that prompted Novartis's shift of R+D investment from India to China, is a concern for the innovative industry.
- The large market shares of generics in the Emerging markets have resulted in numerous generic supply deals by companies including Pfizer, GSK, Sanofi Aventis, Novartis, Daiichi Sankyo and Abbott. Other companies that are seeking generic portfolios through alliances or acquisitions include Astra Zeneca, Lilly, J&J and Merck.
- Mylan and Teva appear to be potential alliance partners for companies seeking generics, based on their product portfolios and limited Emerging Market presence.
Key questions answered- What are the pharmaceutical market sizes, growth forecasts and unmet medical needs in the Emerging markets?
- Is there one definitive list of Emerging markets for Pharmaceuticals?
- What are the opportunities and challenges presented by the major Emerging Market countries and regions?
- How can companies evaluate which Emerging markets offer the greatest opportunities for their growth?
- What are the expectations for the industry impact of the Chinese government's comprehensive plan for Healthcare reform and expansion?
- Which companies are current industry leaders in terms of Emerging market sales?
Companies mentionedAbbott , Astra Zeneca , Bayer , BMS , Boehringer Ingelheim , Daiichi Sankyo , Eisai , GSK , J&J , Lilly , Merck , Mylan , Novartis , Novo Nordisk , Pfizer , Roche , Sanofi Aventis , Takeda , Teva ,
Table of ContentsOpportunities In Emerging Pharma Markets
Executive summary 10
Overview of emerging markets for pharmaceuticals 10
Emerging market profiles by countries and regions 11
Emerging market growth strategies by leading companies 12
Emerging market opportunities by product segment 13
Recommendations for success in emerging markets 14
Chapter 1 Overview of emerging markets
for pharmaceuticals 16
Pharmerging countries 18
2007 forecast 18
2008 forecast 19
Multiple classifications of emerging markets 23
China is the largest growth opportunity 25
Emerging market opportunities 26
Emerging market challenges 27
Chapter 2 Emerging market profiles by
country and regions 30
Market size and forecast 32
Opportunities and challenges 33
Recent acquisitions and alliances 34
Market size and forecast 34
Market segments 36
Opportunity: China's healthcare expansion plan 37
Impact of Chinese healthcare reforms 38
Additional opportunities and challenges 39
China market segmentation: Tier 1, 2 and 3 cities 39
Leading industry company strategies in China 41
Recent acquisitions and alliances 42
Market size and forecast 42
Opportunities and challenges 43
Leading industry company strategies 44
Recent acquisitions and alliances 44
South Korea 44
Market size and forecast 44
Leading industry company strategies 45
Market size and forecast 45
Leading industry company strategies 46
Recent acquisitions and alliances 46
Market size and forecast 46
HIV prevalence 47
Market overview 48
Opportunities and challenges 48
Leading industry company strategies 49
Recent acquisitions and alliances 50
Market size and forecast 50
Market overview 50
Opportunities and challenges 50
Leading industry company strategies 51
Recent acquisitions and alliances 51
Other emerging Asia-Pacific markets 52
Opportunities and challenges 52
Leading industry company strategies 54
Other emerging Latin America markets 56
Leading industry company strategies 56
Recent acquisitions and alliances 57
Other emerging Central and Eastern European markets 57
Leading industry company strategies 58
Recent acquisitions and alliances 58
Other emerging Middle East and Africa markets 59
Chapter 3 Emerging market growth
strategies by leading companies 62
Bristol Myers Squibb 65
Boehringer Ingelheim 66
Daiichi Sankyo 67
HIV Agents 71
Developing world initiatives 72
Developing world initiatives 75
Novo Nordisk 78
Innovative strategies 81
Chapter 4 Emerging market opportunities
by product segment 88
Patented and innovative products 89
Generics/branded generics 90
HIV and hepatitis agents 94
HIV agents 94
Hepatitis agents 96
Industry vaccine leaders 98
Recent vaccine acquisitions and alliances 100
Developing world vaccines and medicines 101
Developing market disease numbers 101
Chapter 5 Recommendations for success in
emerging markets 106
Product offering 107
Country selection 108
Strategy development 109
Competitor awareness 109
Tailor marketing to the market 110
Market "glocally" 111
Effective promotion 112
Region specific planning 113
Security risks 114
Security of data and manufacturing supply chain 114
Protection of company image and reputation 115
Protection of assets 115
List of FiguresFigure 1.1: 2013 forecast of seven emerging markets ($bn), 2008-2013 20
Figure 5.2: Product opportunities 108
List of TablesTable 1.1: 2013 forecast of seven emerging markets, 2009 20
Table 1.2: 2008 sales in the seven major emerging markets, 2009 22
Table 1.3: Prevalence of diabetes (m), 2000-2030 25
Table 2.4: Statistics: Seven major seven emerging pharmaceutical markets 32
Table 2.5: Tier 1, 2 and 3 Chinese cities, 2008 40
Table 2.6: Other emerging Asia-Pacific Markets: Statistics 52
Table 2.7: Diabetics (millions) 53
Table 2.8: Other emerging Latin America Markets: Statistics 56
Table 2.9: Other emerging Central and Eastern European markets: statistics 57
Table 4.10: Marketed and pipeline biosimilars by company 92
Table 4.11: Annual deaths due to HIV/AIDS by country 95
Table 4.12: HIV prevalence (millions), 2007 96
Table 4.13: Select companies with vaccines by type 98
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved