Omnicare has settled prior False Claims Act cases both for paying and receiving kickbacks, and since 2006, has operated under Corporate Integrity Agreements with the HHS Office of Inspector General.
Mr. Gale was the General Manager of one of Omnicare's pharmacies in Wadsworth, Ohio. His civil complaint was filed under seal in January 2010. The case was unsealed in 2011, after the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio elected not to intervene. This decision, which occurs in about 85% of False Claims Act cases, cleared the way for Mr. Gale to pursue the case on behalf of the taxpayers. The case has been vigorously litigated since early 2012.
The False Claims Act, also called "Lincoln's Law," was first signed by President Lincoln in 1863. Amendments to the law in 1986 made it the federal government's primary weapon against fraud and abuse by government contractors. The statute permits a private citizen like Mr. Gale to bring a case in the name of the United States, and to recover a portion of any recovery. If the Justice Department approves the Omnicare settlement, Mr. Gale's share of the proceeds will be 25 to 30% of the federal recovery.
"This settlement stands as a powerful example of how the False Claims Act empowers Americans to help fight fraud on the government and American taxpayers. It shows that ordinary citizens who care about following the law and doing the right thing can make a difference," said Ross
SOURCE Sanford Heisler LLP
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Berger & Montague, P.C. Announces That Omnicare, Inc. Agrees to Pay $120 Million to Settle Kickback Allegation
2. Omnicare and AmerisourceBergen Under Review: Drugs Company Stocks Hit New Highs
3. ResMed Patent Infringement Case Against BMC Advances: International Trade Commission Agrees to Investigate
4. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. Agrees to Acquire Obagi Medical Products, Inc. for $19.75 Per Share in Cash
5. Ajinomoto Co., Inc. Agrees To Acquire Althea Technologies, Inc.
6. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. Agrees To Acquire Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation For $44.00 Per Share In Cash
7. French Government Agrees to Fund Study of the PneumRx RePneu Lung Volume Reduction Coil
8. Sonendo Agrees To Terms For Up To $20 Million In Financing
9. Valeant Pharmaceuticals Agrees To Acquire AcneFree And Certain Assets From University Medical
10. Kensey Nash Agrees to Be Acquired by DSM for $38.50 per Share in Cash
11. Hospira Launches Q Core Sapphire Infusion System in the United States