In the second part of the study, the team injected AAV carriers into the muscles of monkeys, where the imported DNA produced immunoadhesins that entered the blood circulation. One month after administration of the AAV carriers, the immunized monkeys were injected with live, AIDS-causing SIV. The majority of the immunized monkeys were completely protected from SIV infection, and all were protected from AIDS. In contrast, a group of unimmunized monkeys were all infected by SIV, and two-thirds died of AIDS complications. High concentrations of the SIV-specific immunoadhesins remained in the blood for over a year.
Further studies need to be conducted if this technique is to become an actual preventive measure against HIV infection in people, Johnson said. "To ultimately succeed, more and better molecules that work against HIV, including human monoclonal antibodies, will be needed," he and his co-authors conclude. Finally, added Johnson, their approach may also have potential use in preventing other infectious diseases, such as malaria.
Grants from the National Institute of Allergic and Infectious Diseases of the National Institutes of Health supported this study. Johnson's collaborators, in addition to Clark, were Jianchao Zhang, of Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio; Eloisa Yuste and Ronald C. Desrosiers of the New England Primate Research Center and
SOURCE The Children's Hospital of
Copyright©2009 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. One Step Closer: Novel Opioid Receptor Compound in Phase I Clinical Trials
2. ImQuest BioSciences Receives Phase I SBIR Grant to Develop a Novel Hepatitis C Virus Therapeutic Agent
3. VentiRx Pharmaceuticals Initiates Phase I Clinical Trial of VTX-1463, a Novel TLR8 Agonist for the Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
4. Pharmacyclics Initiates Phase 1 Clinical Trial of Novel Oral Btk Inhibitor for Refractory B-cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
5. Watson Announces United States Availability of RAPAFLO(TM) (silodosin), a Novel New Treatment in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
6. Rib-X Pharmaceuticals Novel Antibiotic Delafloxacin Named One of R&D Directions 100 Great Investigational Drugs of 2009
7. Worldwide Sensation: "A"- Implant Novelty From Austria
8. Novel Valortim(R) Mechanism of Action Data Presented at the Keystone Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology
9. Calixa Therapeutics Announces Positive Phase 1 Results for CXA-101, a Novel Intravenous Cephalosporin Antibiotic with Excellent Anti-Pseudomonal Activity
10. Hana Biosciences Announces Successful Planned Independent Safety Analysis Supports Ability to Complete Pivotal rALLy Clinical Trial of Marqibo, Its Lead Novel Anti-Cancer Compound
11. Novavax Reports Positive Preclinical Results for a Novel, Broadly Cross-Protective H5N1 Pandemic Influenza Virus-like Particle (VLP) Vaccine Candidate