OTTAWA, Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Parents and healthcare professionals who care for more than 4,000 cleft lip/palate babies born each year in the U.S. now have a new non-invasive pre-surgical treatment available that research finds is as effective as the established method, yet significantly less expensive.
The DynaCleft® cleft lip and palate treatment device uses an elastomeric band to bridge the cleft segments. Its elastic core applies controlled forces to both lip and palate, while gently conforming to the baby's mouth to accommodate feeding, crying or smiling. Applied topically shortly after birth, the device slowly guides soft tissues and bone of the cleft lip and palate into a better position for repair, making first cleft surgery easier for both surgeon and baby.
Developed in collaboration with cleft teams, DynaCleft® saves time, money and most importantly, provides greater comfort for the baby. Used together with a simple nasal elevator hand-fashioned from common clinical materials, the new method makes pre-surgical cleft lip and palate treatment accessible to more newborns and greatly reduces the burden of care for parents.
A study published recently in The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal found the clinical effectiveness of this new topical pre-surgical treatment equal to that of the orthodontic appliance widely considered to be the gold standard of pre-surgical treatment for cleft lip and palate. The randomized, prospective study of babies born between 2007 and 2010 with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate compared the results of cleft width reduction and nasal deformity correction between the NAM-Grayson appliance and the new topical method, and concluded that the combination of DynaCleft® with a nasal elevator achieves equivalent results to the NAM (nasoalveolar molding) intra-oral appliance.
Dr. LaQuia Wa
SOURCE Canica Design Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Shire Announces that the US Food and Drug Administration has Responded to its Citizen Petition for Adderall XR and has Approved One Abbreviated New Drug Application for Generic Adderall XR
2. Statement from Mary Vogt, President of Home Access Health Corporation, manufacturer of the Home Access HIV-1 test system, the only over-the-counter HIV test previously approved by the FDA for at-home use.
3. Hologic Human Papillomavirus (HPV) High-Risk Test Approved for Use in The Netherlands Population Cervical Screening Programme
4. Life Technologies Acquires Pinpoint Genomics and CLIA-Approved Lung Cancer Test
5. Stem Cell Supplement Approved In Taiwan
6. InkSure Introduces FDA Approved High Security Taggants for Direct Food Contact
7. First FDA approved subcutaneous implantable defibrillator available for patients at risk for sudden cardiac arrest
8. Shares of Oramed Pharmaceuticals Are Approved for Listing on the Nasdaq Capital Market
9. Experienced Surgeon Vs. FDA-Approved Robot
10. SafeCode Drug Technologies to Hire Project Manager to Market FDA Approved Painless Injection Device
11. Roche/Chugais Bitopertin Will Garner Nearly $1.5 Billion in Major-Market Sales in 2022 as the First Approved Treatment for Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia