SINGAPORE, Oct. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NeuroAiD™, a treatment of post-stroke recovery containing natural extracts, reduces early cardiovascular events and deaths by nearly 50% on top of antiplatelet agents within three months after stroke onset, without an increase in bleeding rate and non-vascular deaths according to research published online in the journal Stroke.
The CHIMES study is an academic international double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial in 1099 patients having suffered an ischemic stroke of intermediate severity within 72 hours, treated by NeuroAiD™ or placebo and monitored for 3 months.
Considering the positive effects of NeuroAiD™ on cerebral blood flow and a potential role in "ischemic preconditioning," CHIMES researchers hypothesized that NeuroAiD™ may have an effect on preventing the occurrence of early vascular events after stroke onset. They analyzed a composite outcome consisting of vascular events and vascular deaths, all events being blindly adjudicated. NeuroAiD™ was given on top of secondary prevention therapies like antiplatelet drugs, statins, and antihypertensive and antidiabetics treatments.
As a result the vascular outcome occurred in 16 patients (2.9%) of the NeuroAiD™ group, as opposed to 31 patients (5.6%) in the placebo group (p=0.025). This represents half the rate of early cardiovascular events and deaths, which corresponds to about 27 fewer patients suffering a recurrent vascular event or death per 1000 patients treated over 3 months.
On the safety side, there was no increase in bleeding and non-vascular deaths, confirming the compound's excellent safety profile, with patients on NeuroAiD™ having fewer adverse events than those in the placebo group.
Prof Marie-Germaine Bousser, former Head of Neurology department in Hopital Lariboisiere in
SOURCE Chimes Society
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Study Finds Utilizing Integrated Medical and Pharmacy Data Improves Ability to Forecast Use of High-cost Specialty Treatments
2. Aethlon Medical Note: An Unprecedented Data Point, The Single-Treatment Capture of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) by the Aethlon Hemopurifier®
3. Onyx Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Advisory Committee to Review Carfilzomib for the Treatment of Patients with Relapsed and Refractory Multiple Myeloma
4. Accuray Launches First Study to Compare CyberKnife® SBRT to Surgery and IMRT for Treatment of Early-Stage Prostate Cancer
5. Elekta, pioneer in treatment of cancer in brain disorders, to Move North America Headquarters to Atlanta
6. Ampio Awarded US and Canadian Patents that will Bolster the Commercialization of Optina™ for the treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
7. National Patient Advocate Foundation Praises Signing of the Delaware Cancer Treatment Access Act into Law
8. Zogenix Submits New Drug Application (NDA) to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Zohydro™ for Treatment of Chronic Pain
9. Janssen Research & Development Submits XARELTO® (rivaroxaban) to U.S. FDA for the Treatment and Prevention of Recurrent Venous Thromboembolism
10. Study Results Demonstrate Analytical Treatment Interruption to Assess Antiviral Activity of Argoss Arcelis™ Personalized Immunotherapy for Treatment of HIV Patients, AGS-004, Is Acceptable Strategy for At Least 16 Weeks
11. Alder BioPharmaceuticals Inc. Initiates Phase 1 Clinical Study of Antibody Therapeutic Candidate for Treatment of Migraine, ALD403