LOS ANGELES, May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The California Maternal Mental Health Collaborative (http://www.camaternalmentalhealth.org/), a non-profit organization committed to increasing and improving maternal mental health awareness, diagnosis and treatment, is launching its national campaign, the 2020 Mom Project (www.2020MomProject.com), to bring screening and treatment for maternal mental health disorders by the year 2020. The 2020 Mom Project is a national call to action that sets forth an aggressive new path for solving what some have called one of the biggest public health concerns of our time: the silent maternal mental health crisis which impacts up to 20 percent of expecting and new moms. It is being launched in recognition of National Women's Health Week, May 12 through 18, 2013 (http://womenshealth.gov/nwhw/).
"Postpartum depression and anxiety are age-old problems that most obstetricians recognize, but very few know how to treat, especially in a timely fashion," said Judy Mikacich , M.D. and Co-Chair of the California Maternal Mental Health Collaborative.
There have been numerous efforts to assist obstetricians (OBGYNs) and primary care providers, such as pediatricians, in screening for mental health problems, but due to a number of challenges – including OBGYNs and pediatricians declaring they don't have enough time and don't know where to refer patients for help – most women and their families aren't being informed, screened and provided treatment.
"We realized it was time to think outside of the box for new easy-to-implement solutions that will change the way the majority of women are educated about maternal mental health disorders and provided help quickly when needed," explained Joy Bur
SOURCE The California Maternal Mental Health Collaborative
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Maroon 5 Lead Singer Adam Levine and Shire Announce "The Own It Project," Encouraging Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder to Tell Their Stories Through a National Contest
2. Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron Attracts Nationally Known Speakers For Conference on Value-driven Engineering, April 23-24
3. Pharmaceutical Industry Service Company Awarded The UKs Most Prestigious Business Accolade in Recognition of Outstanding Achievement in International Trade
4. Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Substantial Losses Investing in Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. to Contact the Firm
5. Latest Findings in Breastfeeding Science Presented at Medelas 7th International Breastfeeding and Lactation Symposium
6. SurgLine International, Inc. Launches A Wholly Owned Operating Subsidiary To Pursue Cost Containment Strategies
7. Fuse Science Partners With GNC To Open National Distribution Of EnerJel™
8. Foundation for Managed Care Pharmacy (FMCP) Presents Awards for 2012 National P&T Competition and Best Posters
9. Nearly 300 Medical Device, Healthcare Professionals Attend First National Conference on Value-driven Engineering
10. WAISMANN METHOD® Director Encourages Public to Participate in National Take-Back Day
11. International Drug & Explosives Detection Company IDenta Corp. Releases Information to OTC markets.