The objective of MIV-711-201 is to evaluate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of six months of treatment with MIV-711 in patients with moderate knee osteoarthritis. As part of the study, an independent DMC is periodically scheduled to review the unblinded safety data from the trial. Based on the last scheduled review of the accumulated safety data, which took place after the first 200 subjects had completed 3 months of treatment, the DMC has recommended that the phase IIa trial of osteoarthritis should continue without any modifications.
It is expected that data from MIV-711-201 will be available in the third quarter of 2017 and that data from the ongoing extension study, MIV-711-202, will be available in the first half of 2018.
MIV-711 is being developed as a DMOAD, i.e. a drug to slow or reverse the progressive degeneration of joints affected by OA. There are no DMOADs approved for use currently, and the standard of care for OA patients is based on analgesics, with the potential for associated side effect risks such as gastrointestinal bleeding and opioid dependency, and changes in life style. DMOADs for osteoarthritis therefore represent a very large and attractive market opportunity. Medivir estimates that the US market alone is greater than USD 6 billion annually for a drug that impacts disease progression, even if its use was restricted just to patient populations with moderate osteoarthritis in weight-bearing joints.
Further information on the study can be accessed on www.clinicaltrials.gov, ref# NCT02705625.
For further information, please contact:
Richard Bethell, CSO Medivir AB, mobile +46 (0)72-704 3211
Ola Burmark, CFO Medivir AB, mobile: +46 (0) 725 480 580
This information is information that Medivir AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation. The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact persons set out above, at 08.30 CET on 1 February 2017.
Medivir is a research based pharmaceutical company with a focus on oncology. We have a leading competence within protease inhibitor design and nucleotide/nucleoside science and we are dedicated to develop innovative pharmaceuticals that meet great unmet medical need. Medivir's class B share is listed on the Nasdaq Stockholm Mid Cap List.
This information was brought to you by Cision http://news.cision.com
The following files are available for download:
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/miv-711-osteoarthritis-trial-successful-fourth-independent-review-of-safety-data-enables-trial-continuation-without-any-modifications-300400247.html
Related medicine technology :
1. Increasing Prevalence of Osteoarthritis and Preference for Minimally Invasive Procedures to Drive Arthroscopy Devices Market Growth
2. Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces Positive Results for Ampion in Osteoarthritis of the Knee Clinical Trial
3. Cellular Biomedicine Group Announces Positive Interim Results from Phase I/IIa Clinical Trial for Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis (KOA)
4. Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces Additional Positive Results for Ampion(TM) in Osteoarthritis of the Knee Clinical Trial
5. Highland Instruments, Inc., Announces Presentation of "Effects of Electrosonic Stimulation on the Perception of Chronic Pain Due to Osteoarthritis of the Knee."
6. September is National Aging Month: Resources Available on Importance of Treatment for Cataracts, Osteoarthritis and Diabetes
7. Aratana Therapeutics Announces Positive Top-Line Results from AT-001 Pivotal Field Study in Client-Owned Dogs with Osteoarthritis
8. Pharmalink Acquires Novel Therapeutic Product Candidate for Treating Inflammation Associated With Osteoarthritis
9. Global Osteoarthritis Market 2015-2019 - Increased Competition in the Market With Abbott Laboratories, Johnson & Johnson, Novartis & Pfizer Dominating
10. Townsend Announces Launch Of New Osteoarthritis Knee Brace
11. Ampio Pharmaceuticals Announces Update of STRIDE Study for the Investigation of Pain Associated with Osteoarthritis