According to Dr. McDonald, this is a key finding because intramuscular fat is associated with glucose intolerance, a complication affecting nearly two-thirds of individuals with chronic SCI.
The results of this study support the hypothesis that activity-based rehabilitative strategies can play an important role in promoting physical integrity and functional recovery, even when implemented years after an injury, and provide rationale for a large prospective randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of ABRT using FES in persons with chronic SCI.
This study was funded by the Deans Fund at Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital Foundation, The Barnes-Jewish Hospital Auxiliary Foundation, Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, the Nextsteps Foundation, the Sam Schmidt Foundation, Gateway to a Cure Foundation, the Eric Westacott Foundation and, in part, by the Intramural Research Program at the NIH Clinical Center.
About the International Center for Spinal Cord Injury
The International Center for Spinal Cord Injury (ICSCI) at Kennedy Krieger Institute was founded in 2005 on the philosophy that individuals with paralysis can always hope for recovery of sensation, function, mobility, and independence, months and even years after injury. ICSCI is one of the first facilities in the world to combine innovative research with a unique focus on restoration and rehabilitation for children and adults with chronic paralysis. More than 2,000 patients from the U.S. and around the world have received treatment at the Center.
About the Kennedy Krieger Institute
Internationally recognized for improving the lives of children and adolescents with disorders and injuries of the brain and spinal cord, the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, MD'/>"/>
SOURCE Kennedy Krieger Institute
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Grant & Eisenhofer Represents Lead Whistleblower in Historic $1.6 Billion Settlement with Abbott Laboratories Over Off-Label Marketing of Antiepileptic Medication Depakote
2. Renal Dialysis Equipment Market to 2017- Lower Costs and Similar Efficacy Rates as Hemodialysis to Increase Adoption Rates of Peritoneal Dialysis
3. GlaxoSmithKlines (GSK) $3 Billion Whistleblower Settlement Has Paid for One Of Americas Most Expensive Failed Corporate Internal Investigations, Qui Tam Whistleblowers Attorneys Say
4. Grant & Eisenhofer Represents Key Whistleblower in Justice Dept.s $1.04 Billion Civil Settlement with GlaxoSmithKline
5. Hill-Rom Reports Fiscal Third Quarter Results; Announces Aspen Surgical Acquisition; Lowers Full Year Financial Outlook
6. Lower Operating Expense Augments Digital X-rays Uptake Across Industries, Finds Frost & Sullivan
7. TI EEG analog front end lowers noise more than 75 percent for non-invasive brain wave monitoring
8. Whistleblowers extraordinary efforts helped win $95 million settlement with Boehringer Ingelheim
9. Sanofi and Regeneron Announce Publication of Phase 2 Results with LDL Cholesterol-Lowering PCSK9 Antibody in the New England Journal of Medicine
10. Phase 3 Results Show Canagliflozin as Add-On Therapy to Metformin and Pioglitazone Significantly Lowers Blood Sugar Levels in Adult Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
11. Omthera Pharmaceuticals Presents Data From Analysis Of EVOLVE Trial Showing That Epanova Lowers ApoC-III, A Key Predictor of Cardiovascular Risk