That is happening across the country.
"I am a director of three DME operations, two within Round 2 (competitive bidding areas). We were awarded bid opportunities in Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala. The single payment amounts for oxygen and CPAP are not sustainable and we declined. As a result, we have laid off three employees," says Rodney Meadows , director of East Alabama Home Medical Center, LLC in Opelika, Ala., Bessemer Home Medical Center, LLC in Bessemer, Ala., and CPAP Solutions, LLC in Jackson, Miss.
Most DME providers are confronting the challenges presented by the bidding program, but none may be more daunting than those faced by providers of diabetic testing supplies. The industry was stunned when CMS announced it was moving diabetic testing supplies to mail order, resulting in a reimbursement drop of 72 percent for suppliers.
"Contract bid amounts are far below what we can purchase products for in many cases," says Mary Caldwell , vice president and general manager of City Pharmacy of Elkton, Inc. in Elkton, Md. "I currently employ 45 people and stand to lose 50% of my DME business. CMS proposes to pay $10.77/50 test strips. Our cost for the cheapest generic brand is $12.13, and brand strips cost us between $25 and $50 dollars a box. Where did this bid come from, China? Are our seniors going to receive inferior biologics?"
Caldwell says it is "a devastating" blow that will force her to lay off at least half of her 13- person DME staff and several pharmacy workers. "In an area already rocked by terrible economic woes, we are not sure if we can weather this storm," Caldwell says.
SOURCE American Association for Homecare
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. University of Michigans Zell Lurie Institute Awards $112,000 to Promising Student Startups in 30th Annual Business Plan Competition and Dare to Dream Grant Program
2. Quest Diagnostics to Sell HemoCue Business to Radiometer Medical ApS
3. Shark Branding Corp. CEO Daymond John and Fuse Science CEO Brian Tuffin to be featured on FOX Business Network Program "Money with Melissa Francis"
4. HYCOR Divests Urinalysis Business to Increase Focus on Allergy and Autoimmune Markets
5. Sean P. Nolan Joins InterMune as Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer
6. Proprietary Medical Device Data Helps Businesses Adapt in the Shifting Healthcare Landscape, Post-Affordable Care Act
7. JACO Certified by the Womens Business Enterprise National Council
8. Sigma-Aldrich Corporations Sigma Life Science Business to Distribute Worldwide Olink Biosciences Protein Interaction Analysis Technology
9. Philadelphia Native And Author Of Book On Healthcare Industry Headlines Expert Panel At The Wharton Health Care Business Conference
10. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Reports Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Financial And Business Results
11. Intarcia Appoints Owen Hughes Chief Business Officer and Head of Corporate Development