EL PASO, Texas, April 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery at Las Palmas Medical Center recently became one of the first facilities in the nation to perform a hysterectomy using a new single-site platform for robotic surgery.
"This single-site robotic platform provides surgeons with the increased dexterity, control and high-definition 3-D vision found with traditional robotic surgery, as well as the added benefit of performing the operation through a single, nearly invisible scar hidden in the navel," Richard Farnam , M.D., a gynecologist and robotic surgeon at Las Palmas Medical Center, said. "This surgery underscores Las Palmas Medical Center's commitment to providing patients with the highest level of surgical care using the most advanced minimally invasive surgical options."
Dr. Farnam recently performed the procedure—which involves the removal of a woman's uterus—on five patients following FDA approval of this revolutionary platform for hysterectomies in March of this year. Using a single incision that is approximately two centimeters in length, the system enables surgeons to remove the uterus through the belly button in less than 60 minutes. Previously, hysterectomies required one large incision for open surgery or multiple small incisions for traditional laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Farnam is one of the nation's most experienced robotic surgeons, having performed more than 750 robot-assisted procedures since 2007. He is one of only seven gynecologists in the nation selected to perform this advanced surgical technique. Three of these seven physicians are members of the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery. The Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery at Las Palmas Medical Center was selected to be among the first in the nation to use this new platform. It will become available to physicians in other parts of the United
SOURCE Las Palmas Del Sol Healthcare
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Lung Cancer Alliance Congratulates 75 Medical Centers For Moving Swiftly And Responsibly On Lung Cancer Screening
2. Medical Device Developers - Network at BIOMEDevice Boston Next Week
3. Winner Medicals Special Committee Appoints Independent Financial Advisor and Retains Legal Counsel
4. Study Finds Utilizing Integrated Medical and Pharmacy Data Improves Ability to Forecast Use of High-cost Specialty Treatments
5. CareFusion to Sell Neurodiagnostic Business to Natus Medical for $58 Million
6. ulrich medical USA™ Releases New Expandable Spinal Implant for US Market
7. Qmed, the Leading Global MedTech Industry Resource, Partners with Clarimed, to Provide the Medical Manufacturing and Healthcare Industry with FDA Reports on Adverse Events
8. Essential Medical Dismisses Patent Case against Masimo and Cercacor
9. Aethlon Medical Note: An Unprecedented Data Point, The Single-Treatment Capture of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) by the Aethlon Hemopurifier®
10. Aethlon Medical Note: Marc Robins Joins the Aethlon Team
11. Enox Biopharma, Inc. To Present Today At IN3 Medical Device 360 Conference In London