ATLANTIC CITY, N.J., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A New Jersey state court jury today awarded $3.35 million to 47-year-old Linda Gross , a woman whose life took a significant turn for the worse in 2006 after she received a Prolift vaginal mesh implant manufactured by Johnson & Johnson's Ethicon unit.
Concluding the trial of the first of the 2,100 personal injury cases over the Prolift vaginal mesh implant kit pending in New Jersey Superior Court to be tried, the jury found that Ethicon had failed to provide an adequate warning to Linda Gross 's implanting surgeon, Dr. Benson. (Gross v. Gynecare Inc., Atl-L-6966-10, Superior Court of Atlantic County, New Jersey). The jury further found that the company had made fraudulent representations to Gross and Benson.
About $185,000 of the $3.35 million jury award was allocated to Gross's husband for loss of consortium. The rest was awarded to compensate Gross for her past and future pain, suffering, medical costs and lost wages.
A 47-year-old former nurse, Gross testified that Ethicon's Prolift vaginal mesh implant has rendered her unable to work, have sex with her husband, or sit comfortably for more than 20 minutes at a time. Gross also said that, as a result of the Prolift mesh, she takes up to 20 medications a day and has undergone more than 400 medical encounters, including physical therapy sessions, doctor visits, and many surgeries.
As part of the closing arguments he delivered at the trial, counsel for the claimant showed the jury e-mails and re-played videotaped deposition testimony evidencing Ethicon Corp.'s repeated decisions to ignore reports of complications related to its Prolift vaginal mesh in a rush to get that mesh to market.
As a representative of women who claim they've been harmed by vaginal mesh products, Rochelle
SOURCE Rottenstein Law Group
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Foundation for Managed Care Pharmacy (FMCP) Presents Awards for 2012 National P&T Competition and Best Posters
2. Med Ad News Honors Healthcare Communication Agencies at 23rd Annual Manny Awards
3. Nominations Open for San Francisco Business Times Health Care Heroes Awards
4. LifeLearn wins awards for three multimedia education programs
5. UBM Canon and MD+DI Proudly Announce 25 Innovative Products as Winners of the 2012 Medical Design Excellence Awards
6. The Galien Foundation Announces New "Best Medical Technology" Award Category for 2012 Prix Galien USA Awards Program
7. EHA Honorary Awards at the 17th Congress of EHA in Amsterdam
8. UBM Canon, the Global MedTech Authority, and the Medical Design Excellence Awards Honored Dr. Thomas Fogarty with the 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award
9. CPhI Pharma Awards Celebrate the Best of the Industry in 9th Annual Ceremony
10. Spot Vision Screener wins Bronze in International Design Excellence Awards
11. Data Intelligence Limited Recognized as Winner of 2012 Microsoft Life Sciences Innovation Awards