CARLSBAD, Calif., Aug. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ISIS) announced today the initiation of a pivotal Phase 3 study evaluating ISIS-SMNRx in infants with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), the most common genetic cause of infant mortality. Isis plans to dose the first infant in this study within the next few weeks, at which time Isis will earn an $18 million milestone payment from its development partner, Biogen Idec. The Phase 3 study, ENDEAR, is the first of several planned studies in a broad and comprehensive late-stage clinical development program for ISIS-SMNRx. Isis plans to initiate a second pivotal study in children with SMA later this year.
"The successful advancement of ISIS-SMNRx from a preclinical drug candidate to late-stage studies within just a few years reflects the effectiveness of our strategic alliance with Biogen Idec and the benefit of working closely together with combined expertise, and the support from the SMA community. As we continue development of ISIS-SMNRx and initiate the two pivotal studies in infants and children with SMA, we are in the planning stages for clinical studies in additional patient populations," said B. Lynne Parshall, chief operating officer at Isis. "The clinical and preclinical data we have generated to date, including data in multiple open-label clinical studies, across multiple measures with ISIS-SMNRx, support the initiation of these studies, which fully assess the safety and efficacy benefits of this experimental treatment."
"Families of SMA is pleased that Isis is advancing to the next phase of clinical trials for ISIS-SMNRx. Controlled trials are the gold standard in proving the safety and efficacy of any drug," said Kenneth
SOURCE Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright©2014 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Inovio Pharmaceuticals to Host Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results Call on August 11, 2014
2. Arena Pharmaceuticals Provides Corporate Update and Reports Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results
3. Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. To Announce Second Quarter 2014 Results On August 7, 2014
4. Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals Provides Update of its European Drug Development Regulatory Strategy and selects Quotient Clinical for its early development programs
5. Valeant Pharmaceuticals Reports Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results
6. Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Announces XIAFLEX Milestone: Partner Asahi Kasei Pharma Corporation Completes Regulatory Submission For Dupuytrens Contracture In Japan
7. Eisai and Arena Pharmaceuticals Announce Publication of Post-Hoc Analyses of Lorcaserin Phase 3 Clinical Trial Results in Obesity
8. Access Pharmaceuticals Featured On OncLive.com
9. Immune Pharmaceuticals Commences Patient Screening For Bertilimumab Phase II Clinical Trial In Bullous Pemphigoid, A Rare Auto-Immune Disease Of The Skin
10. Alexza Pharmaceuticals Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Conferences
11. Cloud Pharmaceuticals Receives Phase I NSF SBIR Grant Valued at $150,000