"He arrived on ECMO [a machine that takes over the function of the heart and lungs] with an open chest in critical condition," said Dr. Reid. "We kept him on ECMO for a few days hoping that he'd have some cardiac recovery, but he did not. We didn't feel we could bridge him with anything less than a Total Artificial Heart."
Mr. Weaver was implanted with the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart on Oct. 18, 2012. Over the next several months, hospital staff helped him regain his strength and improve his health so he could be listed for a heart transplant. On Jan. 7, he was added to the waiting list, and just five days later, he received his heart transplant. On Jan. 24, Mr. Weaver was discharged from the hospital with his new donor heart. He is currently enjoying life at home with his wife of three years Heather and their 17-month-old daughter Haley and has returned to his job as a supply chain specialist.
"Without the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart, my husband would not have lived, Haley would have grown up without her dad and I would have lost my best friend," said Heather. "Having him home is the best thing in the world!"
About the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart
SynCardia Systems, Inc. (Tucson, AZ) is the privately-held manufacturer of the world's first and only FDA, Health Canada and CE approved Total Artificial Heart. Originally used as a permanent replacement heart, the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart is currently approved as a bridge to transplant for people suffering from end-stage heart failure affecting both sides of the heart (biventricular failure). There have been more than 1,100 implants of the Total Artificial Heart, accounting for more than 300 patient years of life.'/>"/>
SOURCE SynCardia Systems, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Intermountain Healthcare and Myriad Genetics Enter Into Research Collaboration Agreement
2. Lung Cancer Alliance Congratulates 75 Medical Centers For Moving Swiftly And Responsibly On Lung Cancer Screening
3. Medical Device Developers - Network at BIOMEDevice Boston Next Week
4. Winner Medicals Special Committee Appoints Independent Financial Advisor and Retains Legal Counsel
5. Study Finds Utilizing Integrated Medical and Pharmacy Data Improves Ability to Forecast Use of High-cost Specialty Treatments
6. CareFusion to Sell Neurodiagnostic Business to Natus Medical for $58 Million
7. ulrich medical USA™ Releases New Expandable Spinal Implant for US Market
8. Qmed, the Leading Global MedTech Industry Resource, Partners with Clarimed, to Provide the Medical Manufacturing and Healthcare Industry with FDA Reports on Adverse Events
9. Essential Medical Dismisses Patent Case against Masimo and Cercacor
10. Aethlon Medical Note: An Unprecedented Data Point, The Single-Treatment Capture of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) by the Aethlon Hemopurifier®
11. Aethlon Medical Note: Marc Robins Joins the Aethlon Team