"We couldn't be more pleased with the results from this proof-of-principle and dose-finding study of our H1N1 universal influenza vaccine," said Dr. J. Joseph Kim , Inovio's President and CEO. "We have already demonstrated that we can generate protective antibodies against the important H1N1 strains of the last century using our H1N1 universal vaccine. The new data shows that our universal approach can achieve protection rates comparable to the current seasonal vaccines, which require annual changes to try to match the predicted circulating strains. Collectively, these results further support our mission to develop a universal influenza vaccine capable of providing years of true preemptive protection across subtypes and strains. These results add significantly to the advancement of our seasonal universal flu vaccine program. They will also help fine-tune dosing for our pandemic avian H5N1 program and support our research for the new H7N9 subtype that has emerged even more rapidly than H5N1."
Inovio previously reported interim results from this phase I study showing that its SynCon® universal H1N1 influenza vaccine generated protective HAI titers against some of the most prevalent strains of H1N1 influenza from the past 100 years. The vaccine recipients from this study generated protective HAI responses against the H1N1 A/South Carolina/1/18 strain (so-called 1918 Spanish flu) as well as all the H1N1 strains that were part of the seasonal trivalent inactivated flu vaccines (TIV) since 1986, including: A/Taiw
SOURCE Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Granted U.S. Patent Protection for Synthetic Vaccine for Cervical Dysplasia and Cancer
2. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Reports 2012 First Quarter Financial Results
3. Inovio Pharmaceuticals to Present at SPI 2012
4. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Universal Avian Flu Vaccine Generates Protective Antibody Responses Against Six H5N1 Viruses in Phase I Trial
5. Inovio Pharmaceuticals to Present at JMP Investor Conference
6. Inovio Initiates H1N1 Universal Influenza Vaccine Clinical Trial Targeting Over-65 Population, Which Represents 90% of Flu Deaths
7. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. to Webcast, Live, at RetailInvestorConferences.com on August 2nd
8. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. Investor Presentation Now Available for On-demand Viewing at RetailInvestorConferences.com
9. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Reports 2012 Second Quarter Financial Results
10. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Takes Major Stride Toward Universal Influenza Vaccine
11. Inovio Pharmaceuticals Reports 2012 Third Quarter Financial Results