MARLBOROUGH, Massachusetts and ZURICH, November 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
State-of-the-art surgical education was the goal of a collaboration between US-based Hologic, Inc. and the Swiss company VirtaMed. The result is a virtual reality simulator for innovative training of the MyoSure® procedure, an incision-less system for removal of intrauterine tissue. The simulation program is very successful: so far, more than 2,000 physicians have been trained, and the numbers are increasing rapidly. In January 2014, the simulator fleet will grow to 23 units.
In 2011, Hologic decided to work with the Swiss company VirtaMed to develop a virtual reality simulator for the newly launched MyoSure® procedure. "VirtaMed is the only company worldwide with extensive experience in virtual hysteroscopic simulation. It only made sense to partner with them for our ambitious project, to take MyoSure® education to the next level," explains Brittany Minichiello, Senior Associate Manager Medical Education at Hologic and lead of the simulation program.
The result of this collaboration has been a remarkable success: Since the inception of the program in 2012, it has been showcased at numerous society meetings including ACOG (national and district meetings), AAGL, and many others. "It is an innovative technology that offers hands-on training to physicians, OR staff, and residents alike. We have provided this training tool to countless residency programs including MGH, Tufts, Morehouse, University of Pennsylvania, WSU, University of Mississippi, Memorial Medical Center, Northwestern, and so on. I feel that the GyneSim virtual simulator is a valuable asset in surgical education," adds Brittany Minichiello.
SOURCE VirtaMed AG & Hologic, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. The Law Firm of Levi & Korsinsky, LLP Announces Investigation into Possible Breaches of Fiduciary Duty by the Board of Gen-Probe Incorporated in Connection with the Sale of the Company to Hologic, Inc.
2. Hologic, Inc. Announces Note Offering
3. Hologic, Inc. Marks Breast Cancer Awareness Month by Ringing the Opening Bell at NASDAQ and Taking 3D Mammography on the Road
4. MDHI Enhances Service Offerings with New Options for Customers of Americas Largest Warehouse Club Chain - Announces New Extended Concierge Services
5. Marken Enhances Branch Operations
6. Sigma-Aldrich Enhances Customer Focus in China - Unveils Dynamic New Website and Expands Product Offering Through Vetec Brand
7. Virtua Enhances Efficiency with Integrated Identity and Access Management Solutions from Caradigm
8. Mylan Enhances Partnership with Biocon through Strategic Collaboration for Insulin Products
9. Ekahau Enhances Real-Time Location System to Offer 20x More Scalability and Enhanced Reliability
10. NorDx Enhances Clinical Laboratory Diagnostic Services with State-of-the-Art Technology
11. Argos Confirms Improved RNA Amplification Protocol Enhances Quality of Antigen-Specific Immune Response