WASHINGTON, Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. (EES), a leader in surgical technology, will showcase the company's recent innovations and preview future advancements in surgery at the 96th Annual Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) in Washington D.C. this week.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101004/CL75996-a )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101004/CL75996-b )
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101004/CL75996-c )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20101004/CL75996-a )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20101004/CL75996-b )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20101004/CL75996-c )
The new products represent the company's commitment to improving patient outcomes by developing solutions across the continuum of surgical techniques including open, minimally invasive, micro laparoscopy, single site laparoscopy, natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) and beyond.
"Every patient is unique in their surgery needs and every surgeon is unique in their approach to address these needs," says Kevin Lobo, Worldwide President, EES. "That's why we work with a worldwide network of surgeons and continue to invest in clinical and ethnographic research to develop technology solutions that address surgeons needs, while helping them improve outcomes for their patients."
Advances in Energy
- HARMONIC ACE® 45E Curved Shears: this new advanced energy device is 25 percent longer (or 9cm) than the standard length HARMONIC ACE®, enabling improved access in obese patients. As with other devices in the HARMONIC® family, the HARMONIC ACE® 45E precisely cuts, coagulates, grasps and dissects – without instrument exchanges.
- HARMONIC FOCUS® Long Curved Shears: The new longer shaft (17cm) offers the benefits of HARMONIC® advanced energy technology and can be used in open procedures that require deep surgical access (e.g. upper gastrointestinal, colorectal and gynecological).
- HARMONIC Synergy® Combination Hook Blade: The new design offers precise cutting with minimal thermal tissue damage allowing for safer dissection around vital structures compared to electrosurgery or lasers.
Advances in Cutters, Staplers and Clip Appliers
- Ethicon Endo-Surgery LINEAR CUTTER: this is the only linear cutter with an innovative 6-row, 3-D surgical staple technology, delivering optimal compression and superior hemostasis.(1) Additionally, the all-in-one cartridge provides a selectable staple height, which offers closed staple height flexibility for use on varying tissue sizes
- Ethicon Endo-Surgery INTRALUMINAL STAPLER: this new adjustable height stapler allows surgeons to control of the amount of compression applied to the tissue depending the clinical situation.
- ECHELON FLEX™ ENDOPATH® Staplers 45/60mm: this naturally articulating endocutter offers enhanced system-wide compression, which is key in achieving a uniform, hemostatic staple line. The stapler has also been proven to deliver superior staple formation, even in thick tissue(2). Now available in 45mm and 60mm.
- LIGAMAX™5: This new laparoscopic multi-clip applier is designed for accurate clip orientation and placement. Clips are firmly maintained in the jaws of the device during surgical maneuvering to prevent clip dislodgement and eliminates procedure disruption by reducing the potential for dropped clips.
Advances in Single Site Laparoscopy (SSL)
- Ethicon Endo-Surgery SINGLE SITE LAPAROSCOPIC (SSL) Access System: this single port access system provides surgeons versatility and efficiency for single-site laparoscopy.
Two upcoming innovations are currently pending 510k approval and not for sale in the U.S.
- ENSEAL® SuperJaw: the next generation of ENSEAL advanced bipolar energy technology.
- Ethicon Endo-Surgery Generator for Harmonic® technology and Enseal® technology: this all-in-one new generator will support current Harmonic® and Enseal® technologies, all current EES energy systems and the next generation of devices. The generator's compact design takes up less space in the operating room, and has a touch screen for fast, easy setup and operation, and features on-screen diagnostics.
NEXT GENERATION MIP
EES is collaborating with surgeons to develop new devices and techniques for next generation Minimally Invasive Procedures that may ultimately improve upon the benefits of traditional laparoscopic surgery. The EES Innovation Room at the conference will give attendees a preview of several new technologies focused on reducing patient trauma, often by minimizing the size of incisions, to produce improved outcomes for patients, as well as minimizing required change in surgeon technique to help improve overall surgeon experience.
About Ethicon Endo-Surgery
Ethicon Endo-Surgery develops and markets advanced medical devices for minimally invasive and open surgical procedures, focusing on procedure-enabling devices for the interventional diagnosis and treatment of conditions in general and bariatric surgery, as well as gastrointestinal health, gynecology and surgical oncology. More information can be found at the new company website www.ethiconendosurgery.com.
(1) Benchtop data on file—testing under laparoscopic environmental conditions using biologic fluid.
(2) Superior is defined as fewest malformed staples. Thick tissue defined as 3mm to 5mm as measured with an 8g/mm2 thickness measuring device. Study conducted by Ethicon Endo-Surgery in a porcine model. Data on file. ECHELON FLEX™ 60mm with Green Cartridge (88 staples per cartridge) vs ENDO GIA® Universal with 60mm Green Roticulator™ (90 staples per cartridge). Malformed staples are determined by the count of malformed staple legs divided by two.
Related medicine technology :1
|SOURCE Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. (EES)|
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Studies Presented at DDW Demonstrate Potential of Pure NOTES Surgery With Companys Toolbox2
. First Patient of NOTES Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) Study Successfully Treated With Ethicon Endo-Surgery Devices3
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Wins Prestigious International Design Award for Innovative Development of HARMONIC FOCUS(TM)4
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Launches New Echelon Flex(TM) Endopath(R) Stapler That Delivers Echelon(TM) Compression, Now With Natural Articulation5
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Unveils Full Energy Portfolio for First Time at American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress6
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Introduces Innovation-Enabling Solutions Across the Spectrum of Surgery at ACS7
. Ethicon Completes Acquisition of Acclarent8
. Ethicon Announces Definitive Agreement to Acquire Acclarent9
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Announces Agreement with Hologic Inc. To Resolve Patent Disputes10
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery SEDASYS(R) System Receives Regulatory Approval in Canada and CE Mark in European Union11
. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Introduces HARMONIC FOCUS(R) Long Curved Shears for Deep Surgical Access