SEOUL, South Korea, June 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Dong-A PharmTech Co., Ltd. and Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH announced positive results from an initial safety and efficacy portal hypertension study in man using udenafil, its new long-active phosphodiesterase inhibitor. The data was presented by the principal investigator, Prof. Wolfgang Kreisel, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology and Infectious Diseases, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany.
In a 1-week open-label, multicenter phase 2 trial, 20 patients with portal hypertension (Child-Pugh A/B) that met the selection criteria were given a daily oral dose of one of four dose levels of udenafil. The primary efficacy endpoint was the change of hepatic venous pressure gradient (HVPG) from day 0 (pre dose) to day 6 post dose. A total of 7 of 20 patients showed a response defined as a HVPG reduction of < 12 mmHG or by > 20% after one week of daily dosing. In the high dose group, HVPG was lowered in 4 of the 5 patients by more than 10% after administration of study drug on day 0 or day 6. No decrease of mean arterial blood pressure was seen in any of the four dose groups. Standard liver biochemical tests did not change during the study and no adverse events were attributed to the study drug.
The results of this study show that the oral application of the new PDE-5 inhibitor udenafil lowers HVPG in an acute setting without any systemic cardiovascular side effects. Effectiveness appears to be dose related. Further study is contemplated using a placebo controlled design and a longer study duration.
About Dong-A PharmTech Co., Ltd.
Dong-A PharmTech is a late-stage pharmaceutical company incorporated in Korea, focused on the development and commercialization of udenafil worldwide excluding Korea.
About Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH .<
SOURCE Dong-A PharmTech Co., Ltd.
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Dong-A PharmTech Co., Ltd. Announces Portal Hypertension Clinical Trial With Udenafil
2. Access Licenses ProLindac(TM) and MuGard(TM) to JCOM Ltd, an Affiliate of DONG-A Pharmaceuticals in Korea
3. Dong-A PharmTech Co., Ltd. Announces Start of Phase III Trials for Udenafil, Its New Erectile Dysfunction Drug Under Development
4. Thomson Scientific Publishes The Ones to Watch - A Quarterly Review of Phase Changes in the Pharmaceutical Pipeline
5. Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Receives Clearance to Resume Clinical Trials for XIAFLEX(TM)
6. Vion Pharmaceuticals Completes Accrual of 85 Patients to its Pivotal Phase II Trial of Cloretazine(R) (VNP40101M) in Elderly AML
7. Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Announce Receipt of an FDA Action Letter for Bifeprunox, an Investigational Treatment for Schizophrenia
8. Clinical Trial Effectiveness: How Pharmas & Biotechs Save Cost with Savvy Investigator Management
9. DOV Pharmaceutical, Inc. Announces Successful Phase Ib Results for DOV 21,947
10. Callisto Pharmaceuticals Opens Additional Sites for Phase II Clinical Trial of Atiprimod in Advanced Carcinoid Cancer Patients
11. WallSt.net (www.wallst.net) Updates the Investment Community Through an All-New Interview With RegeneRx Biopharmaceuticals CEO