YONKERS, N.Y., Dec. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Welcome to Consumer Reports Health News for health and medical journalists. Consumer Reports, Consumer Reports on Health, and ConsumerReportsHealth.org cover issues pertaining to the efficacy and safety of prescription and non-prescription drugs (including dietary supplements), mental health, diet and nutrition, food safety, and fitness. Consumer Reports tests health and fitness products, rates the effectiveness and affordability of prescription drugs, and evaluates the claims made by drug companies and the health care industry—all without commercial agendas or advertiser influence.
HIDDEN DANGERS AT THE GYM
A new report from Consumer Reports Health looks at the hidden dangers in health clubs ranging from poorly maintained pools to germy gym equipment. The report notes that staph infections, including those that are antibiotic resistant, can spread through shared gym equipment, mats, and towels. To minimize risk, wipe down gym equipment before and after use with the alcohol spray or wipes most gyms provide. Place a clean towel over mats used for doing sit-ups, stretching, or yoga. Don't share towels with others. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based sanitizer. Shower after working out. And if you have a cut or scrape, keep it well covered with a clean adhesive bandage and don't use hot tubs or whirlpools.
The report, available online, also details how to avoid dirty pools, strained muscles, heart attacks, and eye injuries. A copy of the report is available on request.
GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR HUMIDIFIER
SOURCE Consumer Reports on Health
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. With Launch of Consumer Product ActiveCare Announces New Head of Sales and Marketing
2. Reportlinker Adds Corporate Strategies in Consumer Health 2010
3. GNC Empowers Consumers to Age Well With Exclusive New Line Designed to Proactively Influence Health Destiny
4. FDA Consumer Health Information - Very Low Health Risks From Full-Body X-Ray Scanners
5. Actavis Encourages Consumers to Return Fentanyl Transdermal System 25 mcg/h
6. Sanofi-aventis to Acquire BMP Sunstone Creating a Strong Consumer Healthcare Platform in China
7. McNeil Consumer Healthcare Announces Voluntary Recall of One Product Lot of TYLENOL® 8 Hour Caplets 50 Count Sold in the United States and Puerto Rico
8. FDA Consumer Health Information - FDA Tightens Reins on Unapproved Chelation Drugs
9. Consumer Reports Flu Poll: Approximately Three Out of 10 Health Care Workers Living in a Bubble, Not Getting Flu Vaccine
10. FDA CONSUMER HEALTH INFORMATION - Possible Fracture Risk With Osteoporosis Drug
11. Generex Reaches Agreement to Acquire 51% Stake in Global Medical Direct, a Nationwide Durable Medical Equipment and Pharmaceutical Provider Specializing in Direct-to-Consumer Diabetes Supplies