JERUSALEM, Dec. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- BioLineRx (NASDAQ: BLRX; TASE: BLRX), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to identifying, in-licensing and developing promising therapeutic candidates, announced today promising initial results for its BL-8040 drug candidate in a Phase 2 clinical trial for patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia (AML). The early results show that BL-8040, as a stand-alone therapy and in combination with high-dose Cytarabine (Ara-C), is safe at all doses tested to date, and triggers substantial mobilization of cancer cells from the bone marrow to the peripheral blood, thereby increasing the vulnerability of the cells to chemotherapy treatment. In addition, signs of robust apoptosis (cell death) of cancer cells were observed following administration of the higher doses tested to date. The study has not yet reached the highest planned doses, suggesting that a strengthening of BL-8040's effects may be observed in future dosing cohorts.
The Phase 2 trial is a multicenter, open-label study under an IND, and is designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of repeated escalating doses of BL-8040 in adult patients with relapsed or refractory AML. The primary endpoints of the study are to assess the safety and tolerability of BL-8040. Secondary endpoints include the pharmacokinetic profile of the drug and an efficacy evaluation, indicated by the extent of mobilization of cancer cells from the bone marrow to the peripheral blood, the level of cancer cell death (apoptosis) and clinical responses.
Eight patients have already been enrolled in the study, out of a total expected enrollment of up to 50 patients at eight clinical sites in the U.S. and Isr
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. BioLineRx Presents Positive Preclinical Results of Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment at ASH Conference
2. BioLineRx Announces New Positive Results in Phase 2a trial for Orally Available Inflammatory Bowel Disease Treatment
3. BioLineRx Reports Publication in Peer Review Journal of Positive Phase 1/2 Results in Stem Cell Mobilization for Multiple Myeloma
4. BioLineRx Reports Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results
5. BioLineRx to Report Third Quarter 2013 Results on November 13, 2013
6. BioLineRx to Hold Analyst and Investor Day in New York on November 21, 2013
7. BioLineRx Receives Regulatory Approval to Commence Phase 1/2 Trial for Novel Treatment of Celiac Disease
8. BioLineRx Announces In-Licensing of BL-9020, for Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes
9. BioLineRx Announces Regulatory Submission for Phase 1/2 Trial for Novel Treatment of Celiac Disease
10. BioLineRx Announces Receipt of a Notice of Allowance from USPTO for Patent on Use of BL-8020, an Oral, Interferon-Free Treatment for Hepatitis C
11. BioLineRx To Present At 15th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference In New York