BEDFORD, Mass., May 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Hologic, Inc. (Hologic or the Company) (NASDAQ: HOLX), a leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of premium diagnostics products, medical imaging systems and surgical products with an emphasis on serving the healthcare needs of women, today announced the publication of the final results of a large-scale prospective study comparing breast cancer screening using Hologic's 2D mammography plus tomosynthesis (Breast Tomosynthesis) with conventional 2D mammography published online in advance of print by The Lancet Oncology.
The study, "Integration of 3D digital mammography with tomosynthesis for population breast-cancer screening (STORM): a prospective comparison study,"[i] was led by a team of Italian and Australian researchers, represented by Associate Professor Nehmat Houssami , at the University of Sydney's School of Public Health in Australia. The study investigated whether integrated 2D mammography with tomosynthesis was more effective at detecting cancers and reducing false positives than 2D screening alone. The analysis was based on the exams of 7,292 women with an average age of 58 who were screened at two sites in Italy.The use of Hologic's Breast Tomosynthesis technology significantly increased cancer detection rates and simultaneously reduced false positives. Significant findings include:
"It is very encouraging to see this new, additional confirmation of the compelling benefits of 3D mammography," says Dr. Ed
SOURCE Hologic, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Pharmacy Benefits Academy Heads West, May 13-14 in Portland
2. US B12 Shots releases New Article about Vitamin B12 Injections and Benefits
3. Niacin Causes Serious Unexpected Side-effects, but no Worthwhile Benefits, for Patients who are at Increased Risk of Heart Attacks and Strokes
4. Watchdog Organization Releases Toolkit to Help Employers Navigate Pharmacy Benefits Contracts
5. CTIA-The Wireless Association Highlights Connected Health Benefits and Potential
6. US Vitamin Injections Explains Glutathione Benefits in Brand New Article
7. PCMA Statement on Essential Health Benefits Proposed Rule
8. Study Published in Otology & Neurotology Shows Benefits of Cochlear Implant Sound Processor with Dual-Microphone Technology
9. Skip the Seasonal Blues: Learn how Probiotic Health Benefits Kick-Start Digestive Support
10. Health Partner Sauna & Generation Rescue Partner to Bring Awareness of Infrared Sauna Benefits to Autism
11. Pharmacists United for Truth and Transparency Marks One Year Anniversary of Fighting Abuses by Pharmacy Benefits Managers