FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, announced today the publication of its 2012 Sustainability Report. This is BD's fifth Sustainability Report and it continues to focus on the Company's shared value approach to sustainability.
"We believe the principles of shared value — creating value for shareholders by strengthening communities and addressing healthcare challenges of societies — are fundamental to our strategy," said Vincent A. Forlenza , Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President. "For decades, BD's technologies and institutional knowledge have been applied for positive societal impact worldwide. We seek to further embed these capabilities more broadly in the Company to enhance our growth potential, societal impact and overall sustainability for decades to come."
This report aligns with version 3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, and the Company has self-assessed it at GRI application level B. BD's 2012 Sustainability Report highlights its strategic priorities and performance in five key areas:
- Addressing Unmet Health Needs: Throughout BD's history we have applied our technologies, resources and knowledge to help address the world's unmet health needs, fulfilling our corporate purpose of Helping all people live healthy lives. This year the Company Launched Labs for Life — a new collaboration with the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief to strengthen health systems in the developing world.
- Protecting and Preserving the Environment: BD continued to make progress toward meeting its 2015 Sustainability Targets – meeting four of the five of this year. We received the WindMade™ label for BD's global operations, for 35% wind power, and the Energy Star® Challenge for Industry Achiever Status from the U.S. EPA at five sites. Additionally, we added four sites to BD's portfolio of LEED-certified buildings.
- Ensuring the Safety and Environmental Performance of Our Products: The Company continually focuses on social and environmental impacts of our products, from development to disposal, including product quality, patient and healthcare worker safety and product stewardship. In 2012, we expanded our portfolio of safety products with the acquisition of Safety Syringes, Inc., conducted four Supplier Sustainability Summits and published Environmentally Preferred Procurement Principles.
- Guiding our Business with Good Governance and Ethics: BD remains committed to ethical operations and compliance with laws and regulations. In 2012, the Company updated and extended ethics and compliance training, expanded a comprehensive anti-bribery and anti-corruption program, and established a company-wide human rights policy.
- Making BD an Even Better Place to Work: For nearly 30,000 people in more than 50 countries, employment at BD isn't just work — it's a chance to make a real difference in the lives of others. The report highlights the ways we strive to create a work environment that encourages and rewards the pursuit of our purpose, provides opportunities for growth and is inclusive, safe and healthy.
The new report also highlights the many awards, recognitions and affiliations that BD received in 2012 in the areas of sustainability, innovation, employer of choice, and environment, health and safety, including:
- Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes
- 2012 Green Rankings Top 50 (Newsweek)
- World's Most Ethical Companies (Ethisphere Council)
- U.S. EPA Green Power Partnership Member – 2012 Leadership Club
- CEO Cancer Gold Standard™ Accreditation
- Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles (U.S. National Business Group on Health)
To view the full BD 2012 Sustainability Report online, visit www.bd.com/sustainability.
BD, a leading global medical technology company that manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents, is dedicated to improving people's health throughout the world. BD is focused on improving drug therapy, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases, and advancing research and discovery of new drugs and vaccines. The Company's capabilities are instrumental in combating many of the world's most pressing diseases. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, BD employs nearly 30,000 associates in more than 50 countries throughout the world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, industry and the general public. For more information, please visit www.bd.com.
Colleen T. White , Corporate Communications – 201-847-5369
Monique N. Dolecki , Investor Relations – 201-847-5378
Related medicine technology :1
|SOURCE BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)|
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Icahn Issues Statement Regarding Amylin Pharmaceuticals2
. Patient Advocate Foundation Announces New Co-Pay Relief (CPR) Offerings for Patients Facing Health Issues Due to Electrolyte Imbalance3
. U.S. Patent Office Issues Sixth Patent Covering Zero-Footprint Medical Image Viewers to Heart Imaging Technologies, LLC4
. Upcoming Presentations on Global Market Access Issues and Trends in Health Economics and Outcomes Research at ISPOR 2012 by Novel Health Strategies5
. BD Issues 2011 Sustainability Report6
. Ameritox Announces Educational Resources to Help Physicians Navigate Complex Compliance Issues7
. OncoSec Medical Issues Letter to Shareholders8
. FDA Issues Complete Response Letter for 800mg PREZISTA® (darunavir) Tablet9
. PAREXEL International Issues Earnings Guidance In Conjunction With Investor Day10
. MLB All-Star Pitcher CC Sabathia Issues Fast Relief Challenge to Generate Donations for the American Red Cross11
. Carl Icahn Issues Letter To Howard Solomon Of Forest Laboratories