Current asthma treatment options are adequate for the majority of patients, but there are a number of patients - roughly one in 12 - that do not respond to them and therefore suffer inadequate disease control. According to Asthma UK, although it only applies to a minority of patients, this unmet need accounts for around 90% of global healthcare costs associated with asthma.
Associate Analyst Callum Dew notes: "A number of studies have now begun to demonstrate the direct relationship between calcium sensing receptors (CaSR) inhibition - through the use of calcilytics - and levels of bodily fluid biomarkers. Certain blood and bodily fluid biomarkers are known to be associated with asthma, and furthermore increased levels of expression of these biomarkers can correlate with disease severity."
A 2015 study by Cardiff University used an inhaled form of calcilytics in an asthmatic mouse model to show that raised levels of polycations activated the CaSR, preventing asthmatic symptoms. The results were replicated when examining the effect of calcilytics on samples of asthmatic human airway tissue. The researchers concluded that calcilytics may represent effective future asthma therapeutics.
Dew concludes: "Calcilytics have been used for the treatment of osteoporosis for the last 15 years, and although safe and well tolerated, their use has decreased from their previous indication, which could lead to an accelerated time to regulatory approval compared with newly discovered asthma therapeutics. GBI Research believes this places the products ahead of first-in-class developmental programs, which themselves are not direct calcilytics and would take far longer to gain market approval."
GBI Research's free whitepaper "An Exploration of Novel and Repositioned Calcium Transport Mediators as Alternative Asthma Therapeutics" is now available for download.
About GBI Research
GBI Research is a leading provider of business intelligence reports, offering actionable data and forecasts based on the insights of key healthcare industry influencers to ensure you stay up-to-date with the latest market trends. For more information about our offerings, please contact us on:
+44 161 359 5817
Connect with GBI Research on social media for the latest healthcare market updates:
Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter
Related medicine technology :
1. Global Asthma Partnering 2010 to 2016
2. Tolerability Data for Shires CUVITRU Accepted for Oral Presentation at the American College Of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Annual Meeting
3. Increased Development of Highly-targeted Biologics Set to Change Composition of Asthma Therapeutics Market, Says GBI Research
4. Pipeline of Asthma Market Covering 129 Companies Reviewed for H1 2016 in New Research Report
5. Data Analysis Conducted by Emmes Contributed to New NIH Research Linking Air Pollution to Preterm Birth Risks in Mothers with Asthma
6. Asia-Pacific Asthma Market Hit $3.5 Billion in 2014 and Will Reach $5.6 Billion by 2021, Says GBI Research
7. Worlds First 3D-printed Sneezeometer Will Help Asthma Patients Breathe Easy
8. Market Access Impact: Asthma/COPD (EU5)
9. Preventive Asthma Drug Market Outlook 2020
10. Global COPD and Asthma Devices Market Industry Analysis 2015-2019 with Consort Medical, Gerresheimer, Nypro, Philips Healthcare & RPC Bramlage Dominating
11. Global COPD and Asthma Devices Market - Industry Analysis 2015-2019