SAN DIEGO, Aug. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Arcturus Therapeutics, Inc., an industry leader in RNAi technologies for the treatment of disease, today announced it has acquired the patented portfolio of Unlocked Nucleobase Analog (UNA) intellectual property from Marina Biotech. Financial terms of the UNA agreement were not disclosed.
The use of UNAs in RNA interference (RNAi) to silence aberrant gene expression is an emerging and promising approach in the treatment of disease. The flexible nature of UNA reduces the binding affinity between two strands of an RNAi drug and gives unique characteristics to its gene silencing abilities. UNA has the potential to improve RNAi therapeutics by increasing stability and reducing sense and antisense mediated off-target effects while retaining potency.
Under the terms of the agreement, Arcturus now owns the UNA technology patent estate, enabling the company to operate freely and to independently pursue RNAi therapeutics. Arcturus expects to generate significant revenue from milestones; and additionally can choose to out-license the technology, if desired, to create more non-dilutive revenue.
"Incorporation of UNA technology into our drug products can improve potency, selectivity, and duration of action", said Pad Chivukula, COO & CSO of Arcturus Therapeutics, Inc. "Combining UNA technology with Arcturus delivery capabilities will provide patients with outstanding products."
"Arcturus is fully committed to developing high quality RNAi therapeutics – and the acquisition of UNA technology is an assertive step in the right direction" stated Joseph E. Payne, president and chief executive officer of Arcturus.
About Arcturus Therapeutics
Founded in 2013 and based in San Diego,
SOURCE Arcturus Therapeutics, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) to Report First Quarter Financial Results on April 20
2. Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Substantial Losses Investing in Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd. to Contact the Firm
3. Argos Therapeutics Secures $25 million Series D Financing to Commence Phase 3 ADAPT Study in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma (mRCC) in Mid-2012
4. Novelos Therapeutics Announces Successful Completion of First Cohort In Lung Cancer Trial With I-124-CLR1404 (LIGHT) Cancer-Targeted PET Imaging Agent at UW Carbone Cancer Center
5. Zacks Industry Outlook Highlights: Eli Lilly, Forest Labs, ViroPharma, Novartis and United Therapeutics
6. Oxford BioTherapeutics Appoints Senior Industry Leader to Head its New Clinical Development Operations in Basel, Switzerland
7. Nektar Therapeutics Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2012
8. Cara Therapeutics Licenses Novel Kappa Opioid Agonist, CR845, to Chong Kun Dang Pharmaceutical Corporation For South Korean Market
9. Frost & Sullivan: High Uptake of New Drug Therapies and Aging Population Expansion Keep the U.S. Retinal Therapeutics Market Buoyant
10. Zenobia Therapeutics, Inc. And BioBlocks, Inc. Announce Sale Of A Joint Fragment Library Ideal For Screening By All Popular Methods
11. New Forecast Shows Global Protein Therapeutics Market to Reach $143.4 Billion by 2015