About the Study
A screening questionnaire is being sent to 1,000 patients within the VA system in the Boston area who were identified as having a TBI. Analysis of the patients' charts will be performed for those with a screening score that is indicative of the presence of PBA symptoms. Data to be captured includes demographics as well as other mood or behavioral diagnoses.
About Traumatic Brain Injury in the Military
TBI is widely regarded as the "signature wound" of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, accounting for 22 percent of all injuries and 59 percent of blast-related injuries. Based on existing data, veterans' advocates believe that between 10 and 20 percent of Iraq veterans, or 150,000 to 300,000 people, have some level of TBI. Among wounded troops, the rate of TBI rises to 33 percent. In the past decade, more than 230,000 American soldiers were diagnosed with TBI.
About Pseudobulbar Affect
People with pseudobulbar affect (PBA) have sudden outbursts of involuntary crying or laughing, even though there may not be anything particularly sad or funny to trigger those emotions. Many people who suffer from PBA describe their episodes as uncontrollable, exaggerated, or different from their true feelings. PBA may occur when certain neurologic diseases or injury damage the areas of the brain that control normal expression of emotion. This damage can disrupt brain signaling, causing a "short circuit" and triggering episodes of involuntary crying or laughing. PBA can occur in people diagnosed with a variety of otherwise unrelated neurologic conditions such as L
SOURCE Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. AVANIR Pharmaceuticals To paticipate in two conferences in March
2. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Reports Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Financial And Business Results
3. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Interim Data From Pharmacokinetic Study With Next Generation Compound AVP-786
4. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces Date Of Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Financial Results And Conference Call
5. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Reports Fiscal 2012 Fourth Quarter And Year-End Financial And Business Results
6. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Pre-Announces Preliminary Fiscal 2012 Fourth Quarter Results And Provides Clinical Study Update
7. Avanir Pharmaceuticals To Present At 24th Annual Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference
8. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Achieves Commercial Milestones & Provides Clinical Updates
9. Avanir Pharmaceuticals To Present At UBS Global Life Sciences Conference
10. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces Publication Of PBA Burden Of Illness Study
11. Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces Enrollment Of First Patient In Study Of AVP-923 For The Treatment Of Agitation In Patients With Alzheimers Disease