The Committee also considers a variety of qualitative factors, including the business environment in which the results were achieved. Therefore, the Committee determines each Named Executive Officer’s compensation based on multiple factors, including the competitive market, individual performance, internal equity and affordability.”(29) Discretionary bonuses allow compensation to be paid when actual performance targets are missed and a compensation committee decides to give award bonuses anyway.
The AFSCME Plan is an institutional shareholder activist with more than $850 million in assets. AFSCME’s 1.6 million members provide the vital services that make America happen. With members in hundreds of different occupations — from nurses to corrections officers, child care providers to sanitation workers — AFSCME advocates for fairness in the workplace, excellence in public services and prosperity and opportunity for all working families.
(1) Excessive pay has been linked to company underperformance. One study finds that firms pay their CEOs in the top ten percent of pay earn negative abnormal returns over the next five years of approximately -9% (Cooper, Michael J., Gulen, Huseyin and Rau, Raghavendra, The Cross-Section of Stock Returns and Incentive Pay (February 1, 2011)).
(2) TSR figures are based on Morningstar data as of 12/31/10.
(3) Johnson & Johnson 2011 Proxy, p. 46.
(4) Total pay taken from JNJ Proxy Statements: 2003, pgs. 18-19; 2004, pgs. 21-22; 2005, pgs. 22-24; 2006, pgs. 25-27; 2007, p. 29; 2008, p. 43; 2011, p. 46.
(5) Average closing price of JNJ stock for April, 2002, when Weldon became CEO.
(6) JNJ 2011 proxy, p. 28.
(7) "Compensation Peer Groups at Companies with High Pay," IRRC Institute, June, 2010. (The study identified a subset of S&P 500 companies with high pay that is not aligned with high performance, f
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Related medicine technology :1
|SOURCE American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees|
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
. Merck/Gilead Once-A-Day AIDS Pill Not Available in Most Places - AHF Urges Speed-Up of Registrations2
. California Legislature Passes Historic HIV Testing Bill (AB 682); AHF Urges Governor to Sign Crucial Lifesaving Legislation3
. The Oral Cancer Foundation Urges HPV Vaccination for Males4
. Microwave Treatments for Enlarged Prostate Cause Blood Pressure Surges5
. CDC Urges Pre-Teen Vaccination With New Public Service Announcements6
. Consumer Group Urges Gov. Schwarzenegger to Sign Stem Cell Bill Into Law7
. Joint Commission Urges Patients to Speak Up About Pain8
. Video: Novartis Vaccines and PTA Battle Flu: Public Health Vaccination Initiative Urges Families Lets Fight Flu Together!9
. The COSHAR Foundation Urges Parents to Ensure Children Are Up-to-Date on Vaccinations10
. ASGE Urges Patients to Seek a Qualified Endoscopist Before Undergoing a Colonoscopy for Colorectal Cancer11
. Leader in Prostate Health Urges Prostate Cancer Screening in Face of Contradicting Data