FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In January, 18 year old Reggie Lamour 's neck was broken while he played in a rugby game in Naples, Florida. In one moment, the active, athletic young adult with a bright future faced a life-time of ventilator dependency. But there was hope. Lamour's injury qualified him to receive a cutting edge implant through Broward Children's Center. On March 4, the surgery to implant the NeuRX™ Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) was performed at Jackson Memorial Hospital, one of only four hospitals in Florida authorized to perform the surgery.
"He's doing so well. It is much better than the ventilator," said Jolena Diudonne, Lamour's mother. "It is a godsend. He can move around and has more mobility. We are so thankful."
"Just 45 minutes after the surgery, the patient was able to be taken off the ventilator and breathe on his own with the DPS," said Patricia Byers , M.D., chief of surgical nutrition at Jackson. "The patient is now able to use the DPS for two hours at a time, three times a day. The device gives these patients a lot more independence."
"These devices and this surgery are a huge step forward for the independence, health and happiness of those reliant on a respirator to breathe," said Broward Children's Center CEO, Marjorie Evans . "This literally takes thirty pound of equipment off the body and wheelchair of many of those we serve and allows them to be free of a machine that is expensive, awkward, and often stigmatizing."
Lamour received the Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) through a program developed by Broward Children's Center and funded by the Florida Department of Health. The device was developed at Case Western Reserve University and the University Hospitals of
SOURCE Broward Children's Center
Copyright©2012 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine technology :
1. Lung Cancer Alliance Congratulates 75 Medical Centers For Moving Swiftly And Responsibly On Lung Cancer Screening
2. Medical Device Developers - Network at BIOMEDevice Boston Next Week
3. Winner Medicals Special Committee Appoints Independent Financial Advisor and Retains Legal Counsel
4. Study Finds Utilizing Integrated Medical and Pharmacy Data Improves Ability to Forecast Use of High-cost Specialty Treatments
5. CareFusion to Sell Neurodiagnostic Business to Natus Medical for $58 Million
6. ulrich medical USA™ Releases New Expandable Spinal Implant for US Market
7. Qmed, the Leading Global MedTech Industry Resource, Partners with Clarimed, to Provide the Medical Manufacturing and Healthcare Industry with FDA Reports on Adverse Events
8. Essential Medical Dismisses Patent Case against Masimo and Cercacor
9. Aethlon Medical Note: An Unprecedented Data Point, The Single-Treatment Capture of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) by the Aethlon Hemopurifier®
10. Aethlon Medical Note: Marc Robins Joins the Aethlon Team
11. Enox Biopharma, Inc. To Present Today At IN3 Medical Device 360 Conference In London