is 5-12 years, and for various malignancies it is ranging from 8-5 years.
6. Coherence of the Association:
The distribution of cigarette smoking among sexes, among rural and urban residents, and among different socioeconomic classes was similar to the distribution tobacco related health diseases among these groups.
Types and burden of tobacco consumption:
There are two types of tobacco species that are commonly used. N. tabacum- commonly used for the cigarettes, cigars, bidi, hookas etc.. And N. rustica- used for the snuff and hooka (high class). The consumption can be broadly dealt in smokeless tobacco and smoking. It is estimated that 57% of the Indian populating aged less than 15 years consume some form of tobacco. Of which 80% users are smokers and remaining use smokeless forms of tobacco (20%).
Since its entry, till World War 1, cigarette represented a small proportion, but from then over next five decades, it became the dominant form of tobacco. From 1995, cigarette consumption declined dramatically. Though it is a good sign, the other side of coin that is worrying is an increased trend in other forms as well as more number of females and young population joining the list of consumers.
The global trends show 1.1 billion smokers of which 80% are in low- and middle income countries (1 in 3 adults) and the trends are expected to raise up to 1.6 billion by 2025. The major forms are chuttta (villagers), Cigar, cigarette, dhumti (Goa, Konkani), hooka (Muslims, and gujaratis) Reverse Chutta (srikakulam of AP) Bidi (poor man cigars) and chillum (eastern India).
Though the relative contribution of it for the tobacco consumption is low (20%), its role in the causation of oral malignancies is highest. An estimated 50-70% of all oral malignancy patients use this form tobacco, and 75-90% will use some form of tobacco. Page: 1 2 3 4 Related medicine news :1
. Tobacco chewing leads to dental caries2
. Tobacco and alcohol connected to larger health problems3
. Vegetables decrease Tobacco Toxins4
. Exposure To Tobacco Smoke Can Lead To Sickle Cell Crisis5
. Tobacco Found To Trigger Familial Pancreatic Cancer6
. Tobacco smoke increases the levels of Cox 2.
. Aggressive Tobacco taxation policy can reduce cigarette smoking
. Role Of Tobacco In Development Of Oral Cancer And Heart Disease9
. Women More Prone To Risk of Colorectal Cancer from Tobacco10
. WHO Intensifies Anti-Tobacco war11
. New Zealand Researchers Call For Tobacco-Free Society