It happens to all of us: joint pain from a lifetime of lifting, bending and normal wear and tear.// Beyond medication, there are steps you can take to relieve stress while going about your daily activities. Here’s what you can do, from a world leader in arthritis care.
If you’ve lived long enough, inflammation in the ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and wrist can cause pain, swelling and limited motion. If you have joint pain or suffer from arthritis, no doubt you’ve already been prescribed medication by your doctor to reduce these symptoms. But there’s a lot you can do yourself—apart from taking your medication—to lessen joint pain. Following are some time-proven steps from a newsletter called Arthritis Advisor, brought to you by Cleveland Clinic.
1.Control your weight. Obesity puts extra stress on weight-bearing joints, such as the back, hips, knees and feet.
2. Be aware of body position, using good posture to protect your back and the joints of your legs and feet. Whenever possible, sit down to perform a job instead of standing. Change position often, since staying in one position for an extended period tends to increase stiffness and pain.
3. Conserve energy by allowing for rest periods during the workday and while performing any activity.
4. Respect pain. It’s your body’s way of telling you something is wrong. Don’t involve yourself in an activity that puts strain on joints that are already painful or stiff.
5. Use care when getting in and out of a car, chair, or tub, as well as for climbing, lifting, carrying, pulling, or pushing objects. Think before you strain. Tip: Try to always sit in the highest chair in the room, and look for chairs with armrests to make it easier to get up.
6. Use your strongest joints and muscles to reduce the stress on your smaller joints. For example, carry a purse, handbag, or briefcase by its shoulder strap rather than by its handle.
7. DistrPage: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
. Relieve hot flashes2
. Antidepressant Helps Relieve Hot Flashes3
. Epilepsy Drug May Relieve Chronic Headaches4
. The Best Way To Relieve Chest Pain5
. A Drug That Might Relieve Chronic Cough6
. The Effect Of Pain Relievers In Treating Kids With Migraine Questioned7
. Weight Loss Relieves Osteoarthritis Pain8
. Magnets May Not Relieve Pain9
. Botox Relieves Neuralgic Pain10
. New Chair Invented To Relieve Backache11
. Hypnotherapy can be a Pain Reliever