The authorities yesterday have announced that four more drugs made by a Heilongjiang Province drug maker in the center of a medical scandal are tainted with a poisonous industrial chemical. //
It was found that patients receiving treatment in a local hospital in Guangzhou, capital city of south's China Guangdong province May 15, 2006 have shown symptoms of acute renal failure after having taken the fake injection produced by a chemical works in Qiqihar, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. The spurious medicines have led to four deaths.
The provincial Food and Drug Administration have announced that diethylene glycol, which was earlier found in "Armillarisini A injection" that had killed at least five people, was also found in another four drugs. The four are Tongxinshu, an enema fluid used as a painkiller in children; Puerarin, which is injected for blood vessel diseases; Yansuan Naifupan, injected to treat pain; and Shuqisong, injected to treat arthritis and respiratory system disorders.
The administration have said that a total of 12 batches of the five drugs made by the Qiqihar a No. 2 Pharmaceutical Co Ltd are tainted. The initial investigation showed that a Jiangsu Province farmer, Wang Guiping, sold about 1 ton of diethylene glycol under labels saying it was propylene glycol made by the province's Taixing Chemical Factory.
The investigators said that Wang, a former salesman at the Taixing Chemical Factory, had bought the diethylene glycol from a factory in Changzhou, a neighboring city in Jiangsu. The Taixing factory is a producer of dyes. Wang is in police custody. Niu Zhongren, an experienced worker in charge of purchase at the drug maker, bought the chemical at more than 6,000 Yuan (US$750) per ton. The imported propylene glycol costs about 17,000 Yuan per ton.
The officials have said that the company mixed the diethylene glycol in at least 72,000 ampoules of "Armillarisini A injection" in MaPage: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
. Poisonous Parkinsons molecule discovered2
. Poisonous Gas Caused Mass Extinction3
. Caution: Apricot Seeds May Be Poisonous4
. Hong Kong Citizens Fear over Poisonous Vegetables in Local Markets5
. Lakhs of Indians Exposed to High Levels of Poisonous Gases6
. Four of Family Died After Consuming Poisonous Mushrooms7
. Lead With a Poisonous Electron Shield8
Chemicals in clear plastics can cause learning difficulties
. Sedatives Derived From Chemicals Can Make Elderly Nervous10
. Chemicals causing Cancer Found In Soft Drinks In UK11
. Online Auction Results In Purchase of Chemicals