There was decline in number of polio cases from 225 in 2003 to 66 in 2005. However there is a spurt of polio cases in western Uttar Pradesh in 2006, which has further spread not// only to other parts of Uttar Pradesh and but also to States like Haryana, Punjab,Chandigarh, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. So far, 531 polio cases have been reported from the country out of which 443 cases are from Uttar Pradesh.
The Epidemiological situation of polio was reviewed by India ExpertAdvisory Group (IEAG) on 4th-5th May 2006 and they observed that “while the Fab and Aril rounds have shown improvements in most districts, including Moradabad, uneven quality of Supplementary immunization Activities (SIAs) together with the factor favouring transmission of wild polio virus in western UP (High population density, poor sanitation and high Non Polio Entero Virus (NPEV) rates, etc) can allow transmission to continue.”
Only one death from 66 polio cases in 2005 was reported.
The Government has prioritize high risk areas based on several criteria such as:
· Recent wild polio virus transmission
· Poor quality of SIA activities based on monitoring indicators.
· Underserved population.
In order to cover all the eligible children with Pulse Polio Immunisation following measures are taken:
· Information Education and Communication (IEC) and Social Mobilisation activities are being intensified by involving the local influences, community and religious leaders to improve community participation and acceptance of polio vaccine by all children below 5 years of age.
· Transit booths are being established at major railway stations, moving trains, bus stops and market places to cover the transiting children.
· Bi-phasic house to house activities are being carried out in the evening to cover the children missed during first visit.
Services of ASHA and AWW is being used to mobili
ze the missed children of the village and vaccinate them on monthly health day.
This information was given in the Rajya Sabha today by Smt. Panabaka Lakshmi, Minister of State in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in a written reply to a question by Shri Dharam Pal Sabharwal.
Source-PIBBR>SRM Related medicine news :1
. Use of Cellular Phones associated with Increased risk of Brain Tumors2
. Increase in sugar...decrease in brain function!!!3
. Increase in tobacco deaths 4
. Increased Heart Attack Risk From Celebrex,Vioxx5
. Deep Sleep Doesnt Increase Memory6
. Allergy Risk Increased by Kerosene Use7
. IVF technique May Increase The Risk Of Birth Defects 8
. Step Aerobics Increases good cholesterol 9
. Increase in renal problems10
. Fewer teeth & Increased Ischemic Stroke risk11
. Painkillers Increase Risk of Miscarriage