Although some Americans gain five to seven pounds with a diet of big meals and sweets between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, most people only gain a pound or two during// the holidays, according to a UT Southwestern Medical Center registered dietitian.
But even a slight weight gain, if left intact, can accumulate yearly and endanger health.
“The problem is in gaining a pound or two and not working it off, even with good intentions and New Year’s resolutions. The gain stays on and adds up each year; in a decade it’s 10 or 20 pounds,” said Lona Sandon, assistant professor of clinical nutrition. “That can lead to obesity and related health problems such as hypertension, stroke, diabetes and other maladies.”
So how can people avoid adding holiday weight?
Healthy food choices, eating habits, food preparation and exercise, Ms. Sandon said.
“First, focus on choosing healthy foods instead of concentrating on what you shouldn’t have,” she said. “For instance, seek out cranberries, which have a high level of antioxidants, which protect cells and help the body block urinary-tract infections and prevent plaque formation on teeth.”
Ms. Sandon listed several other healthy or calorie-saving food choices:
· Fresh game, such as venison or wild turkey, is usually leaner than store-bought meat.
· Salad with leafy greens and colorful vegetables is a high-fiber, low-calorie choice.
· Nuts are regarded as “heart-healthy.” Research suggests walnuts have cardiovascular benefits; pecans, peanuts and other nuts have “good” fats.
· Sweet potatoes contain Vitamin A – essential to a strong immune system.
· A glass of red wine, which has been found to have a positive effect on cholesterol levels and blood pressure, is less caloric that a glass of eggnog.
The key is moderation, Ms. Sandon said. Eating large portions of even healthy foods can prompt weight gain. Even an extra 15Page: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
. Slightly High BP Poses Health Risk2
. A Slight Increase In BP Can Mean big Risks3
. Risk Of Birth Defects Slightly Increased Due To IVF4
. Slightly High Blood Pressure is Also Hazardous5
. Lose Weight With New Wonder Slimming FDA approved Prescription Drug6
. Weight-Loss Drinks Can Make You Gassy7
. Smoking Linked To Low Infant Birth Weight 8
. Weight gain following smoking cessation not linked to Leptin9
. Helping Kids Attain a Healthy Weight10
. Weight-loss Products Dangerous 11
. Weight and Blood Pressure