Individually, these have been there. The chances of getting all these 10 amino acids together in one H5N1 virus, lined up in the right order, are very minute, but it could happen. With Flu viruses changing every time they multiply, they make mistakes, and these mutations occur naturally, they say.
Experts feel it is not surprising that some strains of the H5N1 have been found to be resistant to Tamiflu, Roche AG’s drug that is believed to be capable of reducing the symptoms and chances of complications caused by the virus.
Finding the cure in the right doses, duration of treatments would involve combining Tamiflu with a few other anti-viral drugs, such as amantadine and rimantadine.
H5N1 cases in China recently were also found to respond to old-fashioned drugs amantadine and rimantadine. So we need to be thinking more about combinations of these drugs, combinations of amantadine, rimantadine and Tamiflu, they say.
Meanwhile, a CNN-Time survey of Asia-Pacific countries has found that Avian flu is expected to be the biggest global issue in 2006, followed by economic slowdown and terrorism.
The survey, carried out this month in the Asia-Pacific region—Australia, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea and the Hong Kong special administrative region—asked people to identify their biggest concerns from a list including bird flu, terrorism, the war in Iraq, Middle East situation, economic slowdown and higher interest rates, global warming and climate change, pollution and AIDS.
Page: 1 2
Related medicine news :
1. The importance of vaccines
2. Two New Human Papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines to prevent cervical cancer
3. The Indian Government has given the nod to conduct Human volunteer trials inorder to develop preventive AIDS vaccines
4. And now it is vaccines for heart disease
5. Religious groups overcome objections to cervical cancer vaccines
6. Prevention of lethal diseases by vaccines
7. Immunity carefully enhanced in elders by high-dose flu vaccines
8. Fresh bird flu vaccines made in China
9. Childhood vaccines may lose their power of long-term protection with exposure to chemical pollutants.
10. Bihar family to spend Rs.43,000 on rabies vaccines
11. Skin-patch vaccines may replace injectable ones in future…