Thirteen outstanding cancer care providers from a variety of backgrounds and locales have been chosen to receive the 2007 American Cancer// Society Lane Adams Quality of Life Award, a prestigious national prize for cancer caring. The Lane Adams Quality of Life Award recognizes individuals who have made a difference through innovation, leadership, and consistent excellence in providing compassionate, skilled care, and counsel to persons living with cancer and their families. The awards were presented in a ceremony in Austin, Texas on Friday, May 18, 2007. This year, the Society honors:
· Wendy Favila-Penney, BS, LVN, Patient Navigator, Alameda County Medical Center, Oakland, Calif.
· John D. Glover, MD, Chief, Radiation Oncology, Bruno Cancer Center, Birmingham, Ala.
· Gay-Lynne Jones, RN, Clinical Director, Julie & Ben Rogers Cancer Institute, Beaumont, Texas.
· Jeff Lycan, RN, President and CEO, Ohio Hospice & Palliative Care Organization, Dublin, Ohio.
· Novella K. Lyons, Founder, Women of Faith & Hope, Philadelphia, Penn.
· Susan Moreno, Trainer, Reach to Recovery, Ocala, Fla.
· Leah DeRoulet-Magee MSW, LICSW, Swedish Cancer Institute, Seattle, Wash.
· Paula Plona, ACSW, OSW-C, Concord Hospital Payson Center for Cancer Care, Concord, N.H.
· Frank Reedy, Penn Argyl, Penn.
· Donnie Riley, Riley Business Products, Cullman, Ala.
· Andrea L. Silber, MD, Director, Cancer Control & Early Detection, Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, Conn.
· Heather Spotts, LMSW, OSW-C, Oncology Social Worker, Breslin Cancer Center, Michigan State University, Lansing, Mich.
· Boonsee Yu, MD, Retired, East Northport, New York.
“These extraordinary individuals come from many disciplines and backgrounds, but what they share in common is their daily dedication to extend ‘the warm hand of service’ to cancer patients,” said Richard C. Wender, MD, national volunteer president of the American CanPage: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
. Abstain from sex- the latest mantra of American teens2
. Clintons new problem - Is the outgoing American president suffering from skin cancer?3
. FDA attacks American Red Cross for blood violations
. Poll Finds Many Americans Misinformed About Cancer5
. Poll Finds Many Americans Misinformed About Cancer
. Hypertension Drug of Choice for African Americans7
. American scientists alter gene makeup of babies
. 38 million Americans including 14 million children left to combat hunger 9
. Americans Consume Far Too Much Salt and Sodium 10
. Americans Growing Out Of Shape11
. Rise in Stress among Americans