Healthy demand for our consumable products, which include preventive, infection control, endodontic, micro-applicator and home care product lines, helped increase sales in the fourth quarter of 2009. Sales of our diagnostic product line declined from the prior year quarter, though at a slower rate than the past few quarters. Gross and operating margins benefited in the fourth quarter from a combination of price increases, favorable product mix, and improved operating efficiencies. Sales for the quarter received a minimal foreign exchange benefit, while for the year, a stronger U.S. dollar negatively impacted sales by approximately $557,000.
During the fourth quarter, we added sales staff at a majority of our product lines in an effort to expand and enhance customer relationships. Work to increase operating efficiencies included improving manufacturing productivity, implementation of software enhancements and ongoing consolidation work. Continued focus on new product development led to additions to our preventive product line as well as additional infection control products to be launched in the first quarter of 2010.
Overall, we are pleased with our ability to achieve growth in earnings throughout the year. We believe our investments to strengthen the company over the last few years have us well-positioned to take advantage of future growth opportunities.
A conference call has been scheduled for Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 11:00 a.m
SOURCE Young Innovations, Inc.
Copyright©2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved
Related medicine news :
1. Air pollution linked to cardiovascular risk indices in healthy young adults
2. Urban Smog Tough on Young Adults Hearts
3. Male deer are born to live fast, die young
4. Bipolar Diagnoses in Younger People Show Huge Increase
5. HealthInsuranceFinders.com Launches Video Contest for Young Directors
6. Nuclear medicine approach can be first choice for excluding pulmonary embolism in young women
7. New HIV diagnoses rising in New York City among young men who have sex with men
8. Especially Yours and Paula Young Team up with Diahann Carroll and Jaclyn Smith in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
9. Office-Based Medical Treatment and Internet Resources Are Potential Solution to Rising Painkiller Misuse Among Teens, Young Adults
10. Young Children Thrive on 30,000 Words a Day
11. Young Twin Cities Boy Shows There is Life After Cancer